Scottish Parliamentary Corporate Body
The Scottish Parliamentary Corporate Body (SPCB) is a body of the Scottish Parliament responsible for the administration of the parliament. It also has a role in provision of services to commissioners and other statutory appointments made by the parliament.
The SPCB is established by section 21 of, and schedule 2 to, the Scotland Act 1998. The SPCB considers and makes decisions on a wide range of issues to do with the running of the parliament including the property, staff and resources that the parliament requires in order to operate. The corporate body administers the resources of the parliament as well as the budget of the parliament. It also considers the use of parliamentary facilities and is responsible for the staffing and security of the parliament.
Each member of the body currently takes on a specific portfolio.
- Ken Macintosh (Presiding Officer)
- Sandra White (Scottish National Party)
- Finanace and Security
- Jackson Carlaw (Scottish Conservatives)
- Business support and information
- Andy Wightman (Scottish Green Party)
- Kezia Dugdale (Scottish Labour Party)
- Liam McArthur (Scottish Liberal Democrats)
|Des McNulty||Resigned December 2001|
|Duncan McNeil||Replaced McNulty|
|Robert Brown||Resigned June 2005|
|Nora Radcliffe||Replaced Brown|
|Andrew Welsh||Resigned January 2006|
|Kenny MacAskill||Replaced Welsh|
|Mary Scanlon||Resigned 2014|
|Liz Smith||Replaced Scanlon|
|David Stewart||Resigned January 2015|
|John Pentland||Replaced Stewart|
|5||Alex Johnstone||Resigned November 2016|
The Scottish Parliament is responsible for the appointment of several statutory positions for commissioners and senior public appointments. The parliament nominates individuals to the monarch, who formally appoints them to a post.
This includes the following posts:
- The Auditor General for Scotland
- The Scottish Public Services Ombudsman
- The Scottish Information Commissioner
- Scotland's Commissioner for Children and Young People
- The chair of the Scottish Human Rights Commission
The SPCB provides the budget for each of the above with the exception of the Auditor General.
The SPCB is responsible for nominating the following posts to parliament:
- Commissioner for Ethical Standards in Public Life in Scotland
- members of the Scottish Human Rights Commission
- The Standards Commission for Scotland
- Member of the Scottish Parliament
- Scottish Parliament Building
- Scotland Act 1998
- House of Commons Commission, a comparable committee of the British House of Commons
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- "Corporate Governance: Scottish Parliamentary Corporate Body (SPCB): SPCB remit". Scottish Parliament. Retrieved 5 September 2014.
- Scotland Act 1998 c. 46 s. 21(2)
- "SPCB Membership". The Scottish Parliament. Archived from the original on 23 March 2019. Retrieved 23 March 2019.
- "Corporate governance: Officeholders". Scottish Parliament. Retrieved 5 September 2014.