|Developer(s)||SQream Technologies Ltd.|
2021.2 / 13 September 2021
|Written in||CUDA, C++, Haskell|
SQream is a relational database management system (RDBMS) that uses graphics processing units (GPUs) from Nvidia. SQream is designed for big data analytics using the Structured Query Language (SQL).
SQream was first released in 2014 after a partnership with an Orange S.A. in Silicon Valley. The company claimed Orange S.A. saved $6 million by using SQream in 2014. SQream is aimed at the budget multi-terabyte analytics market, due to its modest hardware requirements and use of compression.
SQream is also the basis for a product named GenomeStack, for querying many DNA sequences simultaneously. A US$7.4M investment of venture capital was announced in June 2015. It is an example of general-purpose computing on graphics processing units, alongside Omnisci and Kinetica.
In December 2021, SQream announced that it had acquired no-code data platform Panoply for an undisclosed sum, as part of the push to grow its cloud offering.
Software and features
The column-oriented database SQream platform was designed to manage large, fast-growing volumes of data, for compute-intensive queries. The product claims to improve query performance for very large datasets, over traditional relational database systems.
SQream is designed to run on premise or in the public cloud.
- SQream Technologies (September 13, 2021). "What's new in 2021.2". SQream Technologies. Retrieved September 21, 2020.
- Jake Wheat (September 25, 2013). "Using Haskell at SQream Technologies". SQream Technologies. Retrieved July 9, 2018.
- Laura Rosbrow-Telem (June 9, 2015). "This insanely fast big data startup uses only one server – and just got $7.4M in funding". Geektime. Retrieved March 28, 2017.
- Rachel Wolfson (August 15, 2016). "Q&A with Big Data Thought Leader, Ami Gal – Data Natives Tel Aviv 2016". DataConomy. Retrieved March 28, 2017.
- "SQream Tech unveils new big data platform". Geektime.
- Timothy Prickett Morgan (March 28, 2014). "Telco Calls On GPU-Native SQream SQL Database". Enterprise Tech. Retrieved March 28, 2017.
- "IBM, Orange Use GPUs for Next Generation Enterprise Big Data Analytics at GTC". Nvidia Blog. Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- "Getting big data done on a GPU-Based database" (PDF). GPU Technology Conference. Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- "SQream Technologies and Orange Silicon Valley Demo Groundbreaking Big Data Platform at GTC". PRWeb. 26 March 2014.
- "A Shoebox-Size Data Warehouse Powered by GPUs". Datanami.
- "April News From the Bio-IT World Conference and Around the Industry". bio-itworld.com.
- "סטארט-אפ בשבוע: מאגר מידע". Israel Globes. May 18, 2015. (in Hebrew)
- "SQream Raises $7.4M in Funding Round". Genomeweb (Press release). June 9, 2015. Retrieved June 22, 2015. (Registration required)
- Timothy Prickett Morgan (September 22, 2016). "Pushing Database Scalability Up And Out With GPUs". The Next Platform. Retrieved March 28, 2017.
- "Patent WO 2012025915 A1 - A system and method for the parallel execution of database queries over cpus and multi core processors". Google Patents. Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- "Patent WO 2012025915 A8 - A system and method for the parallel execution of database queries over cpus and multi core processors". Google Patents. Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- "Patent WO 2014020605 A1 - A method for pre-processing and processing query operation on multiple data chunk on vector enabled architecture". Google Patents. Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- "SQream teams with Alibaba, doubling workforce". Retrieved 20 February 2018.
- "SQream acquires no-code data platform Panoply". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2022-01-03.
- "SQream Technologies Launches Beta of GPU Database SQream DB on AWS Cloud". Yahoo Finance. Retrieved 5 October 2017.