SQuirreL SQL Client
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Developer(s)||Colin Bell, Gerd Wagner, Rob Manning and others|
3.7.1 / May 9, 2016
|Type||Database administration tool|
The SQuirreL SQL Client is a database administration tool. It uses JDBC to allow users to explore and interact with databases via a JDBC driver. It provides an editor that offers code completion and syntax highlighting for standard SQL. It also provides a plugin architecture that allows plugin writers to modify much of the application's behavior to provide database-specific functionality or features that are database-independent. As this desktop application is written entirely in Java with Swing UI components, it should run on any platform that has a JVM.
SQuirreL SQL Client is free as open source software that is distributed under the GNU Lesser General Public License.
- Object Tree allows for browsing database objects such as catalogs, schemas, tables, triggers, views, sequences, procedures, UDTs, etc.
- The SQL Editor, based on RSyntaxTextArea by fifesoft.com, provides syntax highlighting. It can open, create, save and execute files containing SQL statements.
- SQuirreL supports simultaneous sessions with multiple databases. This allows comparing data and sharing SQL statements between databases.
- SQuirreL runs on any platform that has a JVM.
- A plugin architecture facilitates database vendor-specific extensions (information or actions not available using standard JDBC - see SQuirreL SQL Client Plugin API for more details)
- Translations for the user interface exist in: (Bulgarian, Brazilian Portuguese, Chinese, Czech, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Spanish, Russian).
- Graph capabilities can generate charts showing table relationships.
- Bookmarks - user-defined code templates. SQuirreL comes with predefined example bookmarks for the most common SQL and DDL statements.
The SQuirreL SQL project was developed by a team of Java developers around the world and led by Colin Bell. It has been hosted as a SourceForge project since 2001, and is still being developed today.
- Axion Java RDBMS.
- Apache Derby
- Fujitsu Siemens SESAM/SQL-Server with the SESAM/SQL JDBC driver
- Firebird with the JayBird JCA/JDBC Driver
- Hypersonic SQL
- H2 (DBMS)
- IBM DB2 for Linux, OS/400 and Windows
- Ingres (and OpenIngres)
- Mckoi SQL Database
- Microsoft Access with the JDBC/ODBC bridge.
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Mimer SQL
- Oracle Database 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
- PostgreSQL 7.1.3 and higher
- Sunopsis XML Driver (JDBC Edition)
- Teradata Warehouse
- Vertica Analytic Database
- Wagner, Gerd; Griffin, Glenn. "SQuirreL, a Universal SQL Client" (PDF). Retrieved 2009-04-15.
- Martinig, Franco. "SQuirreL SQL Client". Retrieved 1 March 2011.
- "SQuirreL SQL Client Home Page". SourceForge.net. Retrieved 2009-04-15.