Utah State Route 16
|Maintained by UDOT|
|Length||29.359 mi (47.249 km)|
|Existed||1921 as a state highway; 1920s as SR-3; renumbered 1962–present|
|South end||WYO 89 near Woodruff|
|SR-39 in Woodruff|
|North end||SR-30 at Sage Creek Junction|
State Route 16 (SR-16) is a state highway in northeastern Utah, running for 29.359 miles (47.249 km) in Rich County from the Wyoming state line near Woodruff to Sage Creek Junction. It serves as part of a road from Evanston, Wyoming to Jackson Hole, Wyoming.
SR-16 then continues north ten miles (16 km) to Randolph, running through the town center. North of Randolph, it runs generally north-northeast nine miles (14 km) to end at an intersection with SR-30 at Sage Creek Junction.
A 1921 law added the portion of the road from Evanston, Wyoming to Montpelier, Idaho in Utah to the state highway system, as well as the branch towards Kemmerer, Wyoming. The State Road Commission assigned the State Route 3 designation to the highway that decade, and in 1927 the legislature officially adopted the number for the main route and the spur. The spur was split off as SR-51 in 1931, but the remainder stayed as SR-3 until 1962, when it was renumbered SR-16. In the 1977 renumbering, only the section south of Sage Creek Junction remained, as the rest became SR-30 (signed since 1966) and US-89 (signed since the 1930s).
|Rich||||0.000||0.000||WYO 89 to I-80 – Evanston||Southern terminus|
Wyoming state line
|Woodruff||10.505||16.906||SR-39 west (Center Street) – Huntsville, Ogden|
|Sage Creek Junction||29.359||47.249||SR-30 to WYO 89 and US 30||Northern terminus|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi|
- UDOT Highway Reference, SR-16
- Utah Highways, SR-16
- Utah State Legislature (1921). "Chapter 62: Designation of State Roads". Session Laws of Utah.
(q) From the Utah-Idaho state line near Swan Creek in Rich county following the west shore of Bear Lake by way of Garden City, Laketown, Randolph, Woodruff, to the Utah-Wyoming state line at a point about ten (10) miles in a southeasterly direction from Woodruff. Also from a point approximately nine (9) miles north of Randolph east to the Utah-Wyoming state line.
- Rand McNally Auto Road Atlas, 1926
- Utah State Legislature (1927). "Chapter 21: Designation of State Roads". Session Laws of Utah.
3. From the Utah-Idaho line near Fish Haven, Idaho, thence southerly along the west shore of Bear Lake through Garden City and Laketown, to Sage Creek Junction, Randolph and Woodruff to the Utah-Wyoming State line at a point about ten (10) miles in a southeasterly direction from Woodruff; also from Sage Creek Junction easterly to the Wyoming State line.
- Utah State Legislature (1931). "Chapter 55: Designation of State Roads". Session Laws of Utah.
(51) From Sage Creek junction on route 3 easterly to the Utah-Wyoming State line.
- Utah Department of Transportation, Highway Resolutions: "Route 16". (2.01 MB), updated September 2007, accessed May 2008