|Predecessor||year tbd: unit of Hughes|
|Founded||1993: SRS Labs, Inc.|
|Headquarters||Santa Ana, California, United States|
(Chairman and CEO)
SRS Labs, Inc. was a Santa Ana, California-based audio technology engineering company that specialized in audio enhancement solutions for wide variety of consumer electronic devices. Originally a part of Hughes Aircraft Company,[when?] the audio division developed the Sound Retrieval System technology, and in 1993 was separated off to form SRS Labs, Inc. In 1996 SRS Labs became a publicly traded company on Nasdaq, SRSL.
In 2008, approximately 36 million SRS-equipped flat-panel TVs were shipped, representing a 30-percent estimated market share.
SRS Labs had more than three hundred consumer electronics manufacturing partners, and more than 150 patents for its technologies. SRS manufactured its own products, including, MyVolume - Volume Leveling Adaptor, SRS iWOW for iTunes, SRS Audio Sandbox for PC, and SRS iWOW Adaptor for iPod.
In 2012, SRS Labs was acquired by DTS, Inc. and was run as a subsidiary but has now been fully absorbed into the DTS parent company.
The company licensed and produced a number of products including:
- StudioSound HD
- TruSurround HD
- TruSurround XT
- TheaterSound (Equipped only on high-end Samsung 2010 Televisions.(Series 6 and above) and Samsung 2011 Televisions.(Series 5 and below)
- TheaterSound HD (Equipped only on high-end Samsung 2011 Televisions.(Series 6 and above) and T27A950 3D TV monitor.)
- Headphone 360
- TruSurround HD4
- Dialog Clarity
- WOW HD
- TruMedia (for Android devices based on Qualcomm MS7x27 series)
- Circle Surround
- CS Headphone
- CS Auto
- "Our current partners". SRS labs. Retrieved 2009-05-26.
- "SRS Labs Targets 46 Million SRS-Equipped Flat Panel TVs by End of 2009". Business Week - PR Newswire. Archived from the original on 2012-09-10. Retrieved 2009-05-26.
- "SRS Labs Reports First Quarter 2009 Results". SRS Labs. 2009-05-07. Archived from the original on 2009-05-22. Retrieved 2012-06-03.
- "In 2012, DTS acquired SRS Labs, a leader in audio processing and enhancement." DTS. Retrieved 2013-07-29. http://www.dts.com/corporate/dts-history.aspx