SSC Tuatara concept on display
|Manufacturer||SSC North America|
|Production||2011 (pre-production prototype and components)|
|Body and chassis|
|Class||Sports car (S)|
|Body style||2-door coupe|
|Engine||6.9 L (423.6 cu in) twin-turbocharged V8|
|Wheelbase||105.0 in (2,667 mm)|
|Length||174.4 in (4,430 mm)|
|Width||78.4 in (1,991 mm)|
|Height||43.0 in (1,092 mm)|
|Curb weight||2,750 lb (1,250 kg)|
|Predecessor||SSC Ultimate Aero|
The SSC Tuatara[needs IPA] is an American sports car to be produced by SSC North America (formerly Shelby SuperCars Inc.). The vehicle is the successor to the SSC Aero and is the result of a design collaboration between Jason Castriota and SSC. It is to be powered by a 6.9L twin-turbocharged V8 engine. SSC promises that the output would be at 1,350 hp (1,010 kW; 1,370 PS) and the top speed would be estimated at 276 mph (444 km/h).
According to the manufacturer, the Tuatara will use an SSC-designed billet-aluminium twin-turbocharged 6.9 liter V8 engine that will have a redline of at 9,200 rpm and deliver a maximum of 1,350 hp (1,007 kW; 1,369 PS) and 1,280 lb⋅ft (1,735 N⋅m) at 6,800 rpm on 91 RON rated unleaded premium petrol. The engine will be further capable of outputs up to 1,700 hp (1,268 kW; 1,724 PS). The car will weigh 2,750 lb (1,250 kg) due to carbon-fiber construction (including the wheels) and aluminium crumple zones. This means it will manage a power-to-weight ratio of over 1,000 hp (746 kW) per tonne. The manufacturer claims the Tuatara will accelerate from 0–62 mph (0–100 km/h) in 2.3 seconds and will have an estimated top speed of 276 mph (444 km/h).
Engine specifications and general data
- Type: SSC-designed billet aluminium V8 (ZVL1 Total Block V8)
- Displacement: 423.6 cubic inch (6,941 cc)
- Compression Ratio: 8.625:1
- Horsepower: 1,350 bhp (1,007 kW; 1,369 PS) @ 6,800 rpm (Engine is able to produce up to 1,700 bhp (1,268 kW) @ 9,200 rpm)[clarification needed]
- Torque: 1,280 lb⋅ft (1,735 N⋅m) @ 6,800 rpm
- Redline: 9,200 rpm
- Fuel Injection: Electronic sequential port
- Oil: SAE 5W/30 Fully Synthetic (Racing)
- Induction System: Sequential, multi-port fuel injection, twin-turbochargers, dual-water to air intercoolers
- Fuel: Premium Unleaded - 91RON pump octane
- Transmission: 7-Speed manual H-pattern or 7-Speed SMG semi-automatic
- Clutch: Triple-disc carbon ceramic, zicro'titanium clutch
- Weight to Horsepower Ratio: 2.0 lbs/hp
- Weight Distribution (F/R): Front: 44% / Rear: 56%
- Wheelbase: 105.0 in (2,667 mm)
- Length: 174.4 in (4,430 mm)
- Width: 78.4 in (1,991 mm)
- Height: 43.0 in (1,092 mm)
- Ground Clearance: 4.0 in (102 mm)
- Layout: Mid-engined (Aero Direct-Straightline position of engine)
- Drivetrain: Longitudinal adjustable optional electrological rear-wheel drive (RWD)
- Body/Frame: Carbon-fiber/Carbon-fiber/Aluminium crash structures
- Coefficient of Drag (Cd): 0.328
- Frontal Area: 18.0 sq. ft.
- Brakes (Front): 15.0" Vented and slotted carbon ceramic ciscs w/ 8-piston calipers
- Brakes (Rear): 15.0" Vented and slotted carbon ceramic discs w/ 6-piston calipers
- Wheels: Single-piece carbon fiber (19x9-1/2" Front, 20x13" Rear)
- Tires: Michelin Pilot Ultra Sport PS2-F1 (235 35 (YR)19 Front, 335 35 (YR)20 Rear)
- Steering: Rack & Pinion, Variable electric assist tilt column
- Turns - Lock to Lock: 2.5
- Turning Circle: 41.6 ft (12.7 m)
- Suspension (F/R): Unequal length upper and lower A-arms, coil-over springs, remote reservoir-adjustable Penske coil-over shocks, cab controlled air lift, anti-roll bars
- Total Dry Weight: 2,750 lbs.
- "SSC North America- Home of the Tuatara & Ultimate Aero". www.sscnorthamerica.com. Archived from the original on September 21, 2012. Retrieved November 2, 2016.
- "SSC completes engine testing on Tuatara supercar, teases 1,700 hp".
- "2012 SSC Tuatara". Top Speed. Retrieved July 25, 2011.
- "Home of the Tuatara & Ultimate Aero". SSC North America. Archived from the original on September 21, 2012. Retrieved October 6, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to SSC Tuatara.|