SSC Tuatara in display
|Manufacturer||SSC North America|
|Production||2011 (pre-production prototype and components)
2017 (planned production start)
|Body and chassis|
|Body style||2-door coupe|
|Engine||6.9 L (423.6 cu in) twin-turbo V8|
|Transmission||7-speed manual or 7-speed semi-automatic|
|Wheelbase||105.0 in (2,667 mm)|
|Length||174.4 in (4,430 mm)|
|Width||78.4 in (1,991 mm)|
|Height||43.0 in (1,092 mm)|
|Curb weight||2,750 lb (1,250 kg)|
|Predecessor||SSC Ultimate Aero|
The SSC Tuatara (pronounced too-uh-tahr-uh[needs IPA]) is an American sports car to be produced by SSC North America (formerly Shelby SuperCars Inc.). The vehicle is the successor to the SSC Ultimate Aero and is the result of a design collaboration between Jason Castriota and SSC. It will be powered by a 6.9L twin-turbocharged V8. SSC promises that the output would be at 1,350 hp (1,010 kW; 1,370 PS) and the top speed would be at 276 mph (444 km/h).
The SSC Tuatara is featured in the video game Asphalt 8: Airborne.
According to the manufacturer, the Tuatara will use an SSC-designed billet-aluminum twin-turbocharged 6.9 litre V8 engine block that will redline at 9,200 rpm and deliver a minimum of 1,350 hp (1,007 kW; 1,369 PS) and 1,280 lb·ft (1,735 N·m) at 6,800 rpm on 91 RON rated unleaded premium petrol. Its engine will be capable of higher outputs of up to 1,700 hp (1,268 kW; 1,724 PS). The car will weigh 2,750 lb (1,250 kg) due to a carbon-fibre construction (including the wheels) and aluminium crumple zones. This means it will manage a power-to-weight ratio of over 1,000 hp (746 kW) per tonne. The manufacturer claims the Tuatara will accelerate from a stop from 62 mph (100 km/h) in 2.3 seconds and the top speed is estimated to be 276 mph (444 km/h).
Engine specifications and general data
- Type: SSC-designed billet aluminum V8 (ZVL1 Total Block V8)
- Displacement: 423.6 cubic inch (6,941 cc)
- Compression Ratio: 8.625:1
- Horsepower: 1,350 bhp (1,007 kW; 1,369 PS) @ 6,800 rpm (Engine is able to produce up to 1,700 bhp (1,268 kW) @ 9,200 rpm)[clarification needed]
- Torque: 1,280 lb·ft (1,735 N·m) @ 6,800 rpm
- Redline: 9,200 rpm
- Fuel Injection: Electronic sequential port
- Oil: SAE 5W/30 Fully Synthetic (Racing)
- Induction System: Sequential, multi-port fuel injection, twin-turbochargers, dual-water to air intercoolers
- Fuel: Premium Unleaded - 91RON pump octane
- Transmission: 7-Speed manual H-pattern or 7-Speed SMG semi-automatic
- Clutch: Triple-disc carbon ceramic, zicro'titanium clutch
- Weight to Horsepower Ratio: 2.0 lbs/hp
- Weight Distribution (F/R): Front: 44% / Rear: 56%
- Wheelbase: 105.0 in (2,667 mm)
- Length: 174.4 in (4,430 mm)
- Width: 78.4 in (1,991 mm)
- Height: 43.0 in (1,092 mm)
- Ground Clearance: 4.0 in (102 mm)
- Layout: Mid-engined (Aero Direct-Straightline position of engine)
- Drivetrain: Longitudinal adjustable optional electrological rear-wheel drive (RWD)
- Body/Frame: Carbon-fiber/Carbon-fiber/Aluminum crash structures
- Coefficient of Drag (Cd): 0.328
- Frontal Area: 18.0 sq. ft.
- Brakes (Front): 15.0" Vented and slotted carbon ceramic ciscs w/ 8-piston calipers
- Brakes (Rear): 15.0" Vented and slotted carbon ceramic discs w/ 6-piston calipers
- Wheels: Single-piece carbon fiber (19x9-1/2" Front, 20x13" Rear)
- Tires: Michelin Pilot Ultra Sport PS2-F1 (235 35 (YR)19 Front, 335 35 (YR)20 Rear)
- Steering: Rack & Pinion, Variable electric assist tilt column
- Turns - Lock to Lock: 2.5
- Turning Circle: 41.6 ft (12.7 m)
- Suspension (F/R): Unequal length upper and lower A-arms, coil-over springs, remote reservoir-adjustable Penske coil-over shocks, cab controlled air lift, anti-roll bars
- Total Dry Weight: 2,750 lbs.
- "West Richland car plant ready to get rolling". tri-cityherald.com.
- "SSC North America- Home of the Tuatara & Ultimate Aero". www.sscnorthamerica.com. Retrieved 2016-11-02.
- "SSC completes engine testing on Tuatara supercar, teases 1,700 hp".
- "2012 SSC Tuatara". Top Speed. Retrieved July 25, 2011.
- "Home of the Tuatara & Ultimate Aero". SSC North America. Retrieved October 6, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to SSC Tuatara.|