This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
SSP Health is a large provider of primary care services in the North West of England, one of only 3 organisations in England serving more than 100,000 patients.
The firm is run by Dr Shikha Pitalia, who has been a GP in a family practice with her father Dr Saksena and sister Dr Maini in St Helens since 1991, and her husband Sanjay.
It took over 22 practices in Liverpool and Sefton in 2013, adding to the 17 practices it was already running. The contract was worth £26.7 million over three years. 5 of the contracts were renewed in 2016.
When the firm first took over the practices, many of them were already struggling due to poor management and funding previously. The firm was forced to employ some locus staff as they worked to rectify the problems inherited from the previous contract holders.
Of the 35 SSP practices inspected by the Care Quality Commission in 2015, 32 received a rating of "Good" or higher.
- "Dominance of small GP practices undermines push for extended providers". Health Service Journal. 19 February 2014. Retrieved 14 March 2014.
- "Our Governing Body". St Helens CCG. Retrieved 14 March 2014.
- "NHS England 'working with' GP firm over Merseyside practice concerns". Health Service Journal. 5 September 2013. Retrieved 14 March 2014.
- "Revealed: £30m NHS bill for controversial private health firm". Liverpool Echo. 3 April 2016. Retrieved 3 April 2016.
- "Bill Esterson MP criticises company responsible for managing surgeries in Sefton". Southport Visiter. 19 November 2014. Retrieved 11 January 2015.