SST is a humanist sans-serif typeface designed by Monotype for Sony. It supports the Latin, Greek, and Cyrillic alphabets and has matching styles for Thai, Hebrew, Japanese and Arabic. It is modelled after Helvetica (Sony's previous typeface) and Frutiger. SST is used on Sony's product packaging, operating instructions, websites, TV menus, in PlayStation 4 and on the Xperia smartphone.
Notes and references
- "One typeface, 93 languages for Sony". Monotype Imaging. 6 October 2019. Retrieved 2 February 2020.
- Iris Lješnjanin (2015-04-02). "An interview with type designer Akira Kobayashi – "Letters Do Not Stand By Themselves"". Smashing Magazine.com.
- "Sony Design | Design Projects | SST Type Project". Sony Global.
- "SST Type Project Special Interview With Type Director Akira Kobayashi". Sony Global.
- Luc Devroye. "Sony Design". Type Design Information Page.