SS North Britain (1945)
|Port of registry:|
|Launched:||18 April 1945|
|Maiden voyage:||23 June 1945|
|Fate:||Scrapped in 1968|
|Class and type:||Cargo ship|
|Length:||433 ft (132 m)|
|Beam:||56 ft (17 m)|
|Propulsion:||Triple expansion steam engine|
North Britain was a 7,189 GRT Cargo ship that was built in 1945 by Lithgows, Port Glasgow as Empire Cyprus for the Ministry of War Transport (MoWT). She was sold into merchant service in 1948 and renamed North Britain. In 1962, she was sold to Hong Kong and renamed Jesselton Bay, serving until 1968 when she was scrapped.
The ship was 433 feet (132 m) long, with a beam of 56 feet (17 m).
Empire Cyprus was launched on 18 April 1945, and completed in June. She was operated under the management of Charlton, McAllum & Co Ltd. Her port of registry was Greenock and the Code Letters GFWV were allocated. She departed from the Clyde on her maiden voyage on 23 June 1945, bound for New York, United States. Over the next six months, she would visit Port Said, and Suez, Egypt; Colombo, Ceylon; Calcutta, India; and Rangoon and Kyaukpyu, Burma.
In 1947, management was transferred to Hugh Roberts & Son, Newcastle upon Tyne. In 1948, she was sold to North Shipping Co Ltd and renamed North Britain. She remained under the management of Hugh Roberts & Son. On 28 January 1952, North Britain ran aground off Fiji. She was refloated later that day. In 1962, North Britain was sold to Kinabatagan Shipping Co Ltd, Hong Kong and renamed Jesselton Bay. She was operated under the management of United China Shipping Ltd, Hong Kong. She arrived on 2 April 1968 at Kaohsiung, Taiwan for scrapping.
- Mitchell, W.H.; Sawyer, L.A. (1995). The Empire Ships. London, New York, Hamburg, Hong Kong: Lloyd's of London Press Ltd. p. not cited. ISBN 1-85044-275-4.
- "Launched 1945: EMPIRE CYPRUS". Clydesite. Retrieved 16 May 2011.
- "EMPIRE - C". Mariners. Retrieved 16 May 2011.
- "Signal Letters Database". Convoyweb. Retrieved 15 May 2011. (Enter GFWV or Empire Cyprus in relevant search box)
- "EMPIRE CYPRUS". Convoyweb. Retrieved 14 May 2011.
- "Hurricane Damage In Fiji Islands". The Times (52221). London. 29 January 1952. col F, p. 3.