SS Norwich City
|Port of registry:||1911 London|
|Builder:||William Gray & Co. Ltd., West Hartlepool|
|Laid down:||9 February 1911|
|Launched:||12 July 1911|
|Out of service:||1929|
|Identification:||British ON 132596|
|Notes:||Ship history |
|Length:||397.0 ft (121 m)|
|Beam:||53.5 ft (16 m)|
|Depth:||23.0 ft (7 m)|
|Installed power:||412 NHP|
|Propulsion:||Oil-fired, triple expansion steam|
During a storm on 29 November 1929, the unladen freighter was carrying a crew of 35 men when it ran aground on the reef at the northwest end of the small central Pacific atoll known as Nikumaroro Island (then known as Gardner Island). A fire broke out in the engine room and all hands abandoned ship in darkness having to make their way across the wide and dangerous coral reef being pounded by dangerous storm waves. In total, 11 men lost their lives. The survivors camped near collapsed structures from a late-19th century coconut-planting project and were rescued after several days on the island.
The devastated wreck of the Norwich City was a prominent landmark on the reef for 70 years, though by 2007, only the ship's keel, engine, and two large tanks remained. By 2010, only the engine remained above water on the reef. In 2016, storm activity washed one of the two large tanks shoreward and the two-story engine was broken off and dropped over the edge of the reef into deep water.
- Gardner Island hypothesis of Amelia Earhart's last days (organization claims radio transmission referred to SS Norwich City)
- "Normanby". Shipbuilding on the River Tees. The Shipping and Shipbuilding Research Trust. Retrieved 1 September 2015.
- Mercantile Navy List. 1915. p. 423. Retrieved 1 September 2015.
- "SS Norwich City [+1929]". www.wrecksite.eu. Retrieved 11 July 2015.
- "The History of Metropolitan Vancouver — 1928". vancouverhistory.ca. Retrieved 4 September 2015.
- "Casualty reports". The Times (44877). London. 26 April 1928. col G, p. 27.
- "Nikumaroro, 0530 Local Time, June 2010". Tighar Tracks. 26 (2): 17.
- https://www.digitalglobe.com, November 15, 2016
- TIGHAR Earhart Project Research Bulletin #80, January 9, 2017, https://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Research/Bulletins/80_LongFarewell/80_LongFarewellNC.html
- Photo of SS Norwich City taken about twenty months before the shipwreck
- Historical record of SS Norwich City
- Photo of what was left of the wreckage in 2007
- http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Documents/Norwich_City/NorwichCity.html Reports from the Board of Trade’s Inquiry into the Wreck of the Norwich City