SS Paul Hamilton
SS Paul Hamilton
|Laid down:||30 August 1942|
|Launched:||20 October 1942|
|Fate:||Lost off Algiers 20 April 1944|
|Displacement:||14,245 tons; Gross Tons: 7,176.5|
|Length:||441 ft 6 in (134.57 m)|
|Beam:||56 ft 10.75 in (17.3419 m)|
|Draft:||27 ft 9.25 in (8.4646 m)|
|Speed:||11 to 11.5 knots (20 to 21 km/h)|
|Range:||23,000 miles (37,000 km)|
|Capacity:||9,140 tons cargo|
|Armament:||Stern-mounted 4 in (102 mm) deck gun for use against surfaced submarines, variety of anti-aircraft guns.|
- For other United States ships named Paul Hamilton, see USS Paul Hamilton.
On her fifth voyage  the SS Paul Hamilton left Hampton Roads, Virginia on 2 April 1944 as part of convoy UGS 38, carrying supplies and the ground personnel of the 485th Bombardment Group of the United States Army Air Forces to Italy. On the evening of 20 April it was attacked 30 miles (48 km) off the coast of Cape Bengut near Algiers in the Mediterranean Sea by 23 German Ju 88 bombers of III./Kampfgeschwader 26, I. and III./Kampfgeschwader 77. One aerial torpedo struck the Paul Hamilton and detonated the cargo of high explosives and bombs, and the ship and crew disappeared within 30 seconds.  The crew and passengers, who included 154 officers and men of the 831st Bombardment Squadron and 317 officers and men of the 32nd Photo Reconnaissance Squadron, were all lost. Of the 580 men aboard only one body was recovered.
- Kay Shuffield, Lynna. "SS Paul Hamilton Personnel Lost at Sea". Archived from the original on 2008-06-03. Retrieved 2007-08-03.
- "VFWPost 5546". VFW Post 5546. Retrieved 2007-08-03.
- Clancey, Patrick. "Ships of the U.S. Merchant Marine, 1940-1945". Retrieved 2007-08-03.
- Toler, Vern. "USCGC Taney". Retrieved 2007-08-03.
- "USS Menges (DE-320)". U.S. Coast Guard. Retrieved 2012-01-31.
- Austin Anderle Find a grave memorial
- They Died Together; The Vagaries of War – An eye witness account by an ex-Merchant Marine seaman.
- Roll of Honor
|This article about a specific Liberty ship is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|