The SSh-68, Russian: СШ-68 (стальной шлем образца 1968 года/stalnoy shlyem, or steel helmet) (English: SSh-68 steel helmet model 1968) - is a steel helmet of the Soviet and then Russian Armed Forces. The SSh-68 is further development of combined-arms helmet SSh-60. It differs primarily in its greater strength, greater front slope of the dome and the shorter outer edge. It is usually painted in dark green.
The mass of the helmet - 1300 grams (with leatherette balaclavas - 1500 grams). SSh-68 provides protection from impact shock (machetes, etc.), and steel fragments weighing 1.0 grams at speeds up to 250 m/s. The SSh-68 does not protect against bullets.
The SSh-68 was provided to the armed forces of the Soviet Union and its Warsaw Pact allies, and others. At the present time is in service in most countries of the CIS, as well as China, Vietnam, North Korea, Iran and other countries. Due to the advent of improved helmets, the SSh-68 progressively withdrawn from service. In the Russian Armed Forces, they are gradually replaced by the newer Borit-M.
Variations and modifications
SSh-68M/СШ-68М (GRAU index - 6B14) - A modernization of SSh-68 by installing an aramid, called SVM, fiber liner inside the helmet, as well as modern harness belt and restraint systems. As a result, the mass of the helmet is increased to 1.9 kg. The helmet is designed by "Special equipment and communication", for the personnel of the Russian Ministry of the Interior Internal Troops. The SSH-68M provides head protection of class 1 (pistol and revolver bullets).
SSh-68N "blank"/Заготовка (Grau index - 6B14) - Modernization of SSh-68 by increasing the thickness of the aramid membrane inside the helmet, as well as by the installation of modern harness belt and restraint systems. As a result, the mass of the helmet is increased to 2 kg. This helmet is designed for the personnel of the Russian armed forces. The helmet protects the head in class 1 (9×18mm Makarov pistol and revolver bullets), as well as from fragments of steel of spherical mass of 1.1 g (6.3 mm diameter of fragment) up to 400 m.
SSh-68 are available in three different sizes, P1, P2, and P3. P1 (small) is good to about a 58 head, size 2 (medium) is between about 59 and 61 and size 3 (Large to extra large) is from 61 up. SSh-68s are not sized as NATO helmets are since they are designed to be able to adjust for soldiers to wear an Ushanka or other heavy hat underneath it during the winter.
- Sergey Monetchikov. Uniforms: From helmet to the steel helmet Magazine "Big Brother», № 6, June 2009 www.bratishka.ru/archiv/2009/6/2009_6_14.php
- Dmitri Mamontov. Cast iron forehead: Keep your head "Popular Mechanics", February 2007 http://www.popmech.ru/article/1197-chugunnyiy-lob/page/1/
- NL-68M, a protective helmet of steel upgraded http://www.arms-expo.ru/049051057048124054056053.html
- upgraded bulletproof helmet NL-68N "blank" http://shooter.com.ua/zashhita/966-modernezirovannyj-pulestojkij-shlem-ssh-68n-zagotovka.html
- Каска СШ-68 (Ukrainian)
- Who needs a Steel helmet? (Russian)
- SSh-68 article at Militarist.com.ua
- Нужен ли шлем?
- SSh-68М at Russian Arms Expo official site
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Soviet military helmets.|