The revamped logo of Star Jalsha
|Launched||September 8, 2008|
|Owned by||21st Century Fox|
|Slogan||Cholo Paltai(Let's Change)|
|Headquarters||1107 12th floor, Shahadat Hossain Selim Road, Kolkata|
|Sister channel(s)||STAR Plus
|Tata Sky (India)||Channel 842|
|Videocon d2h (India)||Channel 805|
|Sky (UK & Ireland)||Channel 808|
|OSN (Middle East)||Channel 294|
|UCS (Bangladesh)||Channel 58|
|SkyCable (Philippines)||Channel TBA|
|Destiny Cable (Philippines)||Channel TBA|
|mio TV (Singapore)||Coming soon|
|TalkTalk Plus TV(UK)||Channel 553|
Star Jalsha(Bengali: স্টার জলসা) is a Bengali language general entertainment television channel based in India. Star Jalsha is part of 21st Century Fox's STAR India network. The shows include a mix of family dramas, comedies, youth-oriented, reality shows, shows on crime and telefilms. The channel also airs latest Bengali films.
Star Jalsha was official launched on September 8, 2008 with Sujay Kutty, being the CEO and Kevin Vaz being the President and General Manager of the channel respectively. On Sunday, June 17, 2012, Star Jalsha unveiled a refreshed identity, featuring a new logo – a diamond star amidst a fictionalised event show titled ‘Chalo Paltai’ (let’s bring a change). A music video (Cholo Paltai... aaj jalsha shuru notun bangalir) composed by Pritam was used to launch the channel which was a first for any Bengali channel. The channel made history by otaining the highest television rating among all competing Bengali general entertainment channels since its debut. The characters Jhilik and Pari, from the serial Maa....Tomay Chara Ghum Ashena which aired on the channel was a huge hit among the audiences. The channel with its sister channel Jalsha Movies have emerged as the biggest franchise in the Bengali entertainment space with TV rating of 692 GRPs (gross rating points) in week 52 of 2012. Star Jalsha, the Bengali general entertainment channel from Star Network, was launched in the UK on Sky channel 808 on November 22, 2012 while it was also launched in the Middle East. The channel also airs Star Jalsha Awards to felicitate the characters and programs aired on the channel.
The channel telecasts latest Bengali movies every Sunday. It has premiered movies from Tollywood like Royal Bengal Rahashya, Iti Mrinalini, Rang Milanti, Baishe Srabon, Dui Prithibi, Autograph, Egaro, Paglu 2, 100% Love, Chander Pahar among others. The latest movies are shown under the World TV Premiere property of the channel. The channel premiered the Hindi movie, Kahaani, a first for any Indian channel. Recent Movie Television Premieres include Chander Pahar and Chirodini Tumi Je Amar 2.
- "Star Jalsa: No. 1 Bengali Entertainment Channel | Calcutta Music Blog". Calcuttaglobalchat.net. Retrieved 2012-07-08.
- "Star Jalsha goes in brand refresh with new diamond star identity". Best Media Info. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- "Star Jalsha tops the West Bengal market in week 7". Indian Television.com. Retrieved 19 Feb 2015.
- "Star Jalsha's Maa to wrap up with a dhamaka". The Times of India.
- "STAR Jalsha, JALSHA Movies garner record ratings". Business Standard. Retrieved 4 Jan 2013.
- "Star Jalsha launched in Uk". Best Media Info. Retrieved 29 May 2015.
- "Star Jalsha launcheds in Middle East". Best Media Info. Retrieved 29 May 2015.
- "Star Jalsha awards break rating record". Sify. Retrieved 19 Apr 2011.