Star World India
|Star World India|
|Launched||15 December 1991 (as Star Plus)
31 March 1996 (as STAR World)
|Owned by||Star India|
|Picture format||576i (16:9/4:3) (SDTV) (March 1996 - March 2011)
1080i (HDTV) (April 2011-present)
|Broadcast area||South Asia|
|Sister channel(s)||STAR World Premiere
Star Movies India
Star Movies Action (India)
STAR Movies Select HD
|Website||Star World on hotstar|
|Airtel digital TV (India)||Channel 148 (SD)
Channel 149 (HD)
|Channel 509 (SD)
Channel 508 (HD)
|Reliance Digital TV (India)||Channel 253|
|Channel 206 (SD)
Channel 204 (HD)
|Channel 179 (SD)
Channel 934 (HD)
|Channel 405 (SD)
Channel 963 (HD)
|Available on most cable systems||Check local listings for channels|
|Hathway (India)||Channel 321 (SD)
Channel 377 (HD)
|Space Time Network (Nepal)||Channel 501 (SD)|
|DL-GTPL||Channel 31 (SD)
Channel 861 (HD)
|PEO TV (Sri Lanka)||Channel 77|
Star World India is a 24-hour English language basic cable and satellite television channel owned by STAR TV and Fox Networks Group, two fully owned subsidiaries of 21st Century Fox. The channel primarily airs popular shows from the United States, United Kingdom and sometimes Australia along with some local shows to appeal to the English-speaking population of India and a few other South Asian countries. An HD simulcast of the channel was started in April 2011. The channel focuses on 14- to 35-year-old urban population, with 24-year-old working professionals being its primary target demographic. The channel has been quoted as "India's most loved and leading General English Entertainment Channel" (GEC). The channel mainly airs TV shows from the leading American entertainment networks such as FOX, ABC, NBC, ABC Family, CBS, USA Network and sometimes from AMC and The CW. Some original programs which are solely made and produced in India are also aired on this channel which include the celebrity talk show Koffee with Karan and The Tara Sharma Show which deals with parenting and maternal child care issues. Some high-rated notable television shows aired on this channel include Friends, Game of Thrones, Downton Abbey, Grey's Anatomy, Homeland, House M.D., Lost, Mad Men, MasterChef Australia, Modern Family, Monk, One Tree Hill, Smallville, The Big Bang Theory, The Simpsons, The X-Files, Two and a Half Men, Yes, Dear etc. The channel is also an official broadcaster of the Primetime Emmy Awards in India.
When the channel was first launched on 15 December 1991 as STAR TV, it was an English language television channel airing international content from the U.S., UK and Australia, with Zee TV being the Hindi-language entertainment channel. However, after STAR (subsequently acquired by a News Corporation) ended its partnership with Zee TV, Star Plus was transformed into a Hindi-language channel, with STAR World becoming the network's English-language channel. In April 2011, an HD feed of STAR World India was launched by Star India. This channel is also available in Bangladesh, Bhutan, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.
Star World India airs popular English television shows from mostly the U.S. but sometimes it also airs shows from the United Kingdom and Australia. Various Australian and British television series such as MasterChef Australia and Downton Abbey have aired on the channel.
Star World Weekend Binge
On 25 April 2015, STAR World launched its weekend special programming block known as Star World Weekend Binge. On this programming block, during weekends i.e. Saturdays and Sundays, latest seasons of high-rated English television shows are aired throughout the day (from 12 pm IST to approximately 7 pm IST). Sometimes, previous seasons of some shows are also rerun on this programming block.
Star World Now Trending
Starting from September 21, 2016, Star World introduced a new programming block called Star World Now Trending where the latest seasons of Scream Queens, Empire, The Blacklist, How to Get Away with Murder, Quantico and Pitch were aired throughout the week at 9 pm IST. Other shows such as Star, Homeland, 24: Legacy and the Prison Break miniseries were also later aired on this block. The
Star World 10 Tickles
Star World introduced a one-hour comedy block called Star World 10 Tickles on weeknights starting from Tuesday, October 4, 2016, at 10 pm IST. Black-ish and New Girl were the first shows to be aired on this block. Later, during November 2016, this block was also extended to weekends (during Saturdays and Sundays) where the latest seasons of shows like 2 Broke Girls, Speechless, Modern Family and Son of Zorn were aired. Later in 2017, during late April, the weeknight shows on this block were discontinued to make way for the rerun of Game of Thrones.
- "Star India English cluster to air five seasons of 'Game of Thrones'". Indian Television. February 8, 2016. Retrieved February 8, 2016.
- Mishra, Rohit (May 4, 2014). "House MD – an outstanding TV medical drama, to say the least". Retrieved March 5, 2016.
- "Star World to launch new property ‘Star World Weekend Binge’". Television Post. April 1, 2015. Retrieved April 5, 2016.
- "Star World unveils line-up for ‘Weekend Binge’". Television Post. April 17, 2015. Retrieved April 5, 2016.
- "Star World unleashes marketing blitzkrieg for ‘Weekend Binge’". Indian Television. April 22, 2015. Retrieved April 5, 2016.
- "Star World and Star World HD to air season 3 of 'Empire'". Indian Television. August 30, 2016. Retrieved September 1, 2016.
- Uniyal, Parmita (September 25, 2016). "Priyanka Chopra's Quantico Season 2 to premiere tomorrow in India; all you want to know". India Today. Retrieved October 6, 2016.
- "Star World & Star World HD to air 8 new prime time shows across the week". Indian Television. August 26, 2016. Retrieved August 27, 2016.
- "‘Star World Now Trending’ has over eight new primetime shows". Best Media Info. August 31, 2016. Retrieved September 1, 2016.
- "Star World to launch Lee Daniel's musical drama series 'Star'". Indian Television. December 15, 2016. Retrieved December 21, 2016.
- "‘Homeland 6’ to premiere in India on 16 Jan on Star World". Television Post. January 12, 2017. Retrieved January 15, 2016.
- "The latest season of the award-winning, fan-favourite series ‘Prison Break’ is back". The Times of India. April 3, 2017. Retrieved April 8, 2017.
- "Unwind with Star World 10-Tickles weekend slot". Indian Television. September 12, 2016. Retrieved October 6, 2016.
- Baddhan, Raj (September 12, 2016). "Star World India to launch two new comedies in October". Biz Asia. Retrieved October 6, 2016.