|First air date||1997|
STAR radio is a FM radio station in the West African nation of Liberia. Founded in 1997, it is independent of the country’s government. Headquartered in Monrovia, it broadcasts at the 104 FM frequency and via shortwave radio.
The radio station began broadcasting on FM in July 1997 supported by the Foundation Hirondelle. In September 1997, STAR began broadcasting in short wave frequencies. In January 1998, the Charles Taylor led government removed the station from the airwaves for a week. As of 1999, the station was funded by the United States government, the International Foundation for Election Systems, and the Dutch government. At that time STAR produced eight hours of content each day.
In 1998, reporter Vinicius Hodges won first prize for radio in CNN’s African Journalist of the Year Competition. On March 15, 2000, the Taylor government again shutdown the station, citing inflammatory comments. The ban was lifted on November 3, 2003, after the Taylor regime was deposed, and STAR resumed broadcasting on May 25, 2005.
In June 2007, the station moved to the Snapper Hill area in Monrovia. STAR was named the radio station of the year in Liberia in May 2008 by the Press Union of Liberia, and awarded prizes including a tape player. The organization also named one employee as best newscaster and another as best court reporter. In September 2008, the station received praise for their coverage of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission from the Liberia Media Center.
STAR broadcasts at 104 FM in the capital of Monrovia for 17 hours each day. There is also a shortwave radio broadcast each day for one hour at 7:00 am on the frequency 9525 throughout Liberia. Broadcasts are provided in 21 different languages and are rebroadcast on the internet. The station’s studio is on Broad Street in the Snapper Hill section of Monrovia.
- Grace C., Nick. Investigative Report: Liberian Situation and Star Radio: Bureaucratization of Clandestine Radio. January 30, 1998.
- Kintz, Gregory A. (7 February 1999). Evaluation of Fondation Hirondelle/Star Radio Project Monrovia, Liberia for International Foundation for Election Systems and Fondation Hirondelle (PDF) (Report). International Foundation for Electoral Systems.
- STAR Radio - Liberia. The Communication Initiative Network. Retrieved on October 13, 2008.
- CNN African Journalist of the Year Competition in Partnership with SABC. CNN. Retrieved on October 13, 2008.
- Africa 2000: Liberia. Committee to Protect Journalists. Retrieved on October 13, 2008.
- About us. STAR radio. Retrieved on October 13, 2008.
- ”Liberia STAR radio closes temporarily to move headquarters”, BBC Monitoring International Reports, June 18, 2007.
- "Liberia: Press Union names Star Radio as radio station of year", BBC Monitoring Africa, July 30, 2008. PoliticalSupplied by BBC Worldwide Monitoring.
- Liberia; LMC Extols Media Institutions, The NEWS, September 16, 2008, Africa News.