|Launched||12 January 2015|
|Closed||23 April 2017|
|Owned by||STV Group plc|
|Picture format||576i (16:9 SDTV)|
|Audience share||STV City:[Note 1]|
0.01% (March 2017 , BARB)
(for viewers in West)
|Virgin Media||Channel 159|
STV Edinburgh was a local television channel based in Edinburgh which launched on 12 January 2015. It was owned and operated by STV Group plc in partnership with Edinburgh Napier University. The channel was closed on Sunday 23 April 2017 and replaced by STV2, a semi-national network of local TV stations which itself closed on 1 July 2018.
STV were awarded local TV licences in January 2013 to operate two digital television channels, under the working titles of GTV and ETV, in Glasgow and Edinburgh respectively, for up to 12 years.
Three other bids were made for the licence by Edinburgh News Network, Made in Edinburgh and Metro8 Edinburgh.
STV Edinburgh launched at 7pm on Monday 12 January 2015, originally airing every day from midday until around midnight. Its sister station, STV Glasgow, began broadcasting on Monday 2 June 2014.
The channel soon extended its hours in March 2015. The two city channels then began to share the majority of programming, with most STV Edinburgh productions also broadcast on its sister station in Glasgow.
STV Edinburgh aired a locally focused schedule of new, archived and imported programming, including a daily magazine show, an expanded STV News service, features, former STV programmes, documentaries and drama. The main non-news productions from the Edinburgh studios were the nightly magazine show, The Late Show and coverage of the Edinburgh Festival.
STV Edinburgh also aired archived drama series including Taggart, Take the High Road and Rebus alongside the acclaimed Polish World War II drama Czas honoru (Days of Honour) and the comedy drama series High Times. The station pledged to broadcast at least an hour a week of non-English language programming.
- Audience data for STV's local channels in Edinburgh and Glasgow are measured and reported together, as "STV City".
- Tulloch, Pamela (5 January 2015). "STV Edinburgh launches with The Fountainbridge Show on January 12". STV. Retrieved 5 January 2015.
- "New channel STV Edinburgh launches with The Fountainbridge Show". STV News. 12 January 2015. Retrieved 12 January 2015.
- "Ofcom awards local TV licences in Scotland". Ofcom. 11 January 2013. Archived from the original on 5 November 2013. Retrieved 29 April 2014.
- "STV awarded local television licences for Glasgow and Edinburgh". STV. 11 January 2013. Retrieved 29 April 2014.
- "STV to launch integrated Scottish and international news show". STV News. STV. 21 September 2016. Retrieved 21 September 2016.
- "Anchor of flagship STV News Tonight show announced". STV News. STV. 26 January 2017. Retrieved 27 January 2017.
- STV Glasgow and STV Edinburgh launch new chat show 'The Late Show', stv.tv, 28 December 2015