|Also known as||'STV News at Six,
STV News Tonight,
Good Morning Scotland'
|Directed by||West edition:
|Presented by||West edition:
|Theme music composer||Paul Leonard-Morgan|
|Country of origin||Scotland|
|Executive producer(s)||Gordon MacMillan|
Linda Grimes Douglas
Donald John MacDonald
|Running time||STV News at Six:
|Production company(s)||STV Central,
|Picture format||576i (SDTV 16:9)|
|Original release||23 March 2009– present|
|Preceded by||Scotland Today
|Related shows||Scotland Tonight|
|STV News website|
STV News is a Scottish regional news service produced by STV. The news department produces four regional services covering STV's two Channel 3 franchise areas of Northern and Central Scotland. Additional bulletins also air on digital channel STV2.
STV's news programmes are produced from studios in Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen with reporters also based at newsrooms in Dundee and Inverness and political correspondents based at Holyrood and Westminster. Freelance correspondents and camera crews are based on the Orkney and Shetland Isles, Wick and Fort William with a permanent Western Isles correspondent based in Stornoway.
In addition to its daily bulletins and online services, STV News also produces some non-news programming including current affairs (Scotland Tonight), one-off feature specials and documentaries.
STV North, East and West
Three separate editions of STV News at Six air on STV Central (West and East) and STV North each weeknight at 6pm.
The main evening programmes are supplemented by shorter STV News bulletins seven days a week:
- Good Morning Scotland (not to be confused with the BBC Radio Scotland programme of the same name) updates for the North and Central regions during Good Morning Britain at around 6:10am, 7:10am and 8:10am each weekday. Broadcast from Glasgow, viewers in the North region receive a pre-recorded bulletin - recorded shortly before broadcast.
- Lunchtime bulletins for the North and Central regions at 1:55pm each weekday.
- Headline updates for the North, East and West regions at 8pm each weeknight (except when primetime football matches are being broadcast by STV).
- Late news bulletins for the North, East and West regions during Scotland Tonight (on air from 10.30pm to 11pm) on Monday to Thursday; and after ITV News at Ten on Fridays.
- Weekend bulletins, broadcast across all regions from Glasgow - one on Saturday evenings, one on Sunday evenings.
In the North, viewers in Tayside and north east Fife receive a separate 5-minute bulletin during the main STV News at Six each weeknight, presented and produced from STV's studios at Seabraes in Dundee and directed from a technical gallery in Aberdeen. While the Tayside bulletin is broadcast, viewers further north see more news from the north-east, Highlands and Islands, broadcast from the main studio in Aberdeen.
Previously in the Central region, viewers in the West and East areas received 5-minute bulletins within the main evening programme - STV News West covered the area from Tobermory to Falkirk, with the presenter based in the main studio in Glasgow. Meanwhile, STV News East covered the area from Anstruther to Dunbar and was presented and produced at STV's Edinburgh studios. The full-length separate STV News at Six programmes for the two areas were launched on Monday 23 May 2011.
On Monday 2 June 2014, a secondary news service, STV Glasgow News, was launched as part of the local television channel STV Glasgow. This was followed by the launch of a news service for STV Edinburgh on Monday 12 January.
Both channels were merged together with new local TV services for Aberdeen, Ayr and Dundee in April 2017 to form STV2. News bulletins on the channel are now pan-regional at all times:
- A rolling service of short updates and text news airs overnight from 2am through until 9am.
- Short 2-minute bulletins air every hour from 9am on weekdays.
- STV News at One, a half-hour programme airs at 1pm each weekday.
- STV News at Six, a simulcast of the Edinburgh and East edition of the main STV programme.
- STV News Tonight, a half-hour programme at 7pm, bringing together Scottish, UK and international news, with reports from ITV News.
- STV News at Ten, a half-hour programme airs at 10pm each weeknight.
- Short 5-minute bulletins air at 2pm on weekends.
- A half hour STV News Review airs at 6pm on Saturdays and Sundays.
STV News Tonight
In September 2016, it was announced that STV would launch a news programme bringing together Scottish, UK and international news coverage for the first time. "STV News Tonight" is produced and broadcast from Glasgow using STV's resources from across Scotland and the UK and international resources of ITN. It is the first time in the English language that all news coverage relevant to Scottish viewers - from Scottish to UK and international - has been brought together in a single TV news programme each weeknight.
|STV News at Six|
|West||John MacKay||Scotland Tonight presenter|
|East||Laura Miller||Maternity leave|
|Lucy Whyte||Maternity cover|
|North||Norman MacLeod||Occasional lunchtime/late presenter|
|Andrea Brymer||Occasional lunchtime/late presenter|
|Susan Nicholson||Main Tayside opt presenter|
|STV News Tonight||Halla Mohieddeen|
|Glasgow and the West|
|Mike Edwards||Senior Reporter|
|Colin Stone||Production Journalist|
|Grant Lauchlan||Entertainment Correspondent|
|Kelly Ann Woodland||Good Morning Britain opts and lunchtime presenter|
|Edinburgh, Fife and the Lothians|
|David Cowan||Chief Reporter|
|Ross Govans||News Editor|
|Chris Harvey||Broadcast Journalist (Aberdeen)||Relief bulletin/sports presenter|
|Mark Hirst||Orkney Reporter (freelance)|
|Bernard Ponsonby||Political Editor||Based in Glasgow|
|Colin Mackay||Holyrood Editor||Based in Edinburgh|
|Harry Smith||Westminster Correspondent||Based in London|
|STV Sport team|
|Paul Barnes||East Sports Editor/presenter||Based in Edinburgh|
|Raman Bhardwaj||West Sports Editor/presenter||Based in Glasgow|
|Tyrone Smith||North Sports Editor/presenter||Based in Aberdeen|
|Jamie Borthwick||Sports Reporter||Based in Edinburgh. Occasional relief Sports presenter (East)|
|Stefani Dailly||Sports Reporter||Based in Dundee. Occasional relief Sports presenter/Tayside newsreader|
|Sheelagh McLaren||Sports Reporter||Based in Glasgow. Relief Sports presenter (West/East)|
|Grant Russell||Sports News Correspondent||Based in Glasgow|
|STV Weather team|
|Seán Batty||Regional Weather Presenter||Based in Glasgow|
|Jo Farrow||Relief Regional Weather Presenter||Based in Edinburgh|
|Alex Hill||Relief Regional Weather Presenter||Based in Edinburgh|
The studios in which the news broadcasts from in Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh and Glasgow are fully automated, the cameras are controlled from the gallery, the only people in the studio are the presenters.
- "Glasgow-based composer goes from STV to Limitless possibilities". STV Entertainment. STV. 5 April 2011. Retrieved 7 October 2011.
- ].pdf "STV confirms launch of extra news programme and more localised bulletins" (PDF). STV Group plc. 18 January 2011. Retrieved 18 January 2011. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "ConfLaunch" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- "Here is the news from Edinburgh: STV to produce UK's most local news service". STV News. 18 January 2011. Retrieved 18 January 2011.
- "STV to launch integrated Scottish and international news show". STV News. STV. 21 September 2016. Retrieved 21 September 2016.
- "Anchor of flagship STV News Tonight show announced". STV News. STV. 26 January 2017. Retrieved 27 January 2017.
- STV News at stv.tv
- STV News App on iTunes and Android Play Store
- STV News on Facebook
- STV News on Twitter
- STV News on LinkedIn
|RTS Scotland Awards
News Coverage: Clutha Helicopter Crash