|Manufacturer||SZD (Szybowcowy Zakład Doświadczalny)|
|First flight||29 May 1973|
Design and development
Designed bu Dipl.-Ing. Tadeusz Labuc, the 2-seat Ogar is intended for training glider pilots from ab-initio to advanced stages as well as cross-country flying. The first prototype,(reg. no. SP-0001), first flew on 29 May 1973 powered by a 34 kW (45 hp) Stark-Stamo engine. Due to the Stamo engine being unavailable, production SZD-45A Ogars were built with 51 kW (68 hp) Limbach SL1700EC engines and later with Franklin 2A-120 engines as the SZD-45-2 Ogar F.
Of pod and boom layout the Ogar has a T-tail on a tubular Aluminium alloy tubular boom extending from the keel of the fuselage pod, which houses the cockpit and engine. A variety of materials are used in construction, with a glass-fibre cockpit shell over two load bearing wooden frames. The wings are of wooden single spar construction skinned with plywood and covered with glass-fibre. The engine is mounted at the rear of the fuselage pod, aft of the wing trailing edge at the same level and driving a pusher propeller. The undercarriage consists of a semi-retractable mainwheel fitted with a disc brake, steerable tailwheel and optional outrigger wheels on flexible struts at the wing-tips. Accommodation for two pilots is provided side-by-side under an aft-hinged upward opening canopy. The Ogar was certified for simple aerobatics.
- SZD-45 Ogar
- The prototype powered by a 34 kW (45 hp) Stark-Stamo engine.
- SZD-45A Ogar
- Initial production variant powered by a 51 kW (68 hp) Limbach SL1700EC engines.
- SZD-45-2 Ogar F
- Later production aircraft powered bya 45 kW (60 hp) Franklin 2A-120A (later 2A-120CP) 2-cyl air-cooled horizontally opposed piston engine.
Specifications (SZD-45A Ogar)
- Crew: 2
- Length: 7.95 m (26 ft 1 in)
- Wingspan: 17.53 m (57 ft 6 in)
- Height: 1.72 m (5 ft 8 in)
- Wing area: 19.1 m2 (206 sq ft)
- Aspect ratio: 16.2
- Airfoil: Wortmann FX-61-168/1261
- Empty weight: 470 kg (1,036 lb)
- Max takeoff weight: 700 kg (1,543 lb)
- Fuel capacity: 22 kg (48.5 lb)
- Powerplant: 1 × Limbach SL 1700EC 4-cyl. air-cooled horizontally opposed piston engine, 50.7 kW (68.0 hp)
- Propellers: 2-bladed Hoffmann pusher propeller
- Maximum speed: 180 km/h (112 mph; 97 kn) at sea level in straight and level flight
- Stall speed: 68 km/h (42 mph; 37 kn)
- Max Rough air speed: 89 km/h (55 mph; 48 kn)
- Never exceed speed: 225 km/h (140 mph; 121 kn)
- Range: 549 km; 296 nmi (341 mi)
- Maximum glide ratio: 27.5 at 100 km/h (62 mph; 54 kn)
- Rate of sink: 0.96 m/s (189 ft/min) at 73 km/h (45 mph; 39 kn)
- Wing loading: 36.6 kg/m2 (7.5 lb/sq ft)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to SZD-45 Ogar.|