S Castro Shuttle
|S Castro Shuttle|
|Locale||San Francisco, California|
4th and King Station
(game day runs)
West Portal Station
(game day runs)
20 (limited service)
|Owner||San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency|
|Operator(s)||San Francisco Municipal Railway|
|Rolling stock||151 Breda light rail vehicles
|Track gauge||4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm)
|Electrification||Overhead lines, 600 V DC|
at grade (game day runs)
The S Castro Shuttle is a Muni Metro line in San Francisco, California. At its inception in 1995, it ran from Embarcadero Station downtown to the Castro Street Station during peak periods on weekdays. The service stopped running in the early 2000s as the number of available light rail vehicles went down due to maintenance issues.
As of 2016, the line runs from St. Francis Circle to Embarcadero station with limited service beyond to 23rd Street. The line also runs when there is a home game at AT&T Park, continuing from King and 4th Street to West Portal Station for extended hours. During these times the shuttle will occasionally run a three car formation, being the only line that will do this regularly.
On November 7, 2016, S shuttle service resumed with two extra one-car trains running between Embarcadero and West Portal during the morning rush hour, for a total of ten total trips. The service increase is planned to reduce overcrowding along the L, M, and K lines between the line's terminal stations. This addition was viewed as a strategic way to use limited resources to provide more service. This service improvement is part of Muni Metro's Muni Forward program to add more true subway service.
- "SFMTA to bring back Castro shuttle to ease subway's crushing crowds - by j_rodriguez - The San Francisco Examiner". www.sfexaminer.com. Retrieved 2016-11-17.
- "San Francisco Muni Map". sims.berkeley.edu. Archived from the original on 12 February 2007.
- "Muni (SFMTA) Route S". 511.org. Archived from the original on 2015-07-23.
- "Muni (SFMTA) Route : S". 511.org. Metropolitan Transportation Commission. Retrieved 14 January 2016.
- Kwong, Jessica (11 October 2013). "Muni's three-train shuttle service a hit with riders". The San Francisco Examiner. Retrieved 13 March 2016.
- Agency, San Francisco Municipal Transportation (2016-10-20). "More Muni Subway Service Coming for a Roomier Metro Ride". SFMTA. Retrieved 2016-11-17.
- Agency, San Francisco Municipal Transportation (2016-11-07). "Roomier Trains: Have Muni Subway Shuttles Helped Your Commute?". SFMTA. Retrieved 2016-11-17.