Theatrical release poster
|Produced by||Shibu Thameens|
|Music by||Devi Sri Prasad|
|Edited by||V. T. Vijayan|
T. S. Jay
|Box office||51 crores (Worldwide) |
Saamy Square, (stylized as Saamy²) is a 2018 Tamil language action masala film written and directed by Hari and produced by Shibu Thameens. It stars Vikram in the male lead with  Aishwarya Rajesh and Keerthy Suresh as the female leads alongside Prabhu, Bobby Simha, and Soori in supporting roles. The film is a sequel to the 2003 film Saamy. The film was released on 21 September 2018 along with its Telugu dubbed version titled Saamy.
The film begins a year after the events which occurred in the prequel Saamy.
DCP Aarusaamy "Saamy" (Vikram), who had been transferred out of Tirunelveli, leads a happy life with his now-pregnant wife Bhuvana (Aishwarya Rajesh), who intends to pursue IAS. However, the people who were asking what happened to Perumal Pichai (Kota Srinivasa Rao) assume he might be in Sri Lanka with his second wife and three sons: Mahendra Pichai (O. A. K. Sundar), Devendra Pichai (John Vijay), and Raavana Pichai (Bobby Simha). Raavana soon finds out that Saamy killed his father. The story then shifts to 28 years later, where Ramsaamy "Ram" (Vikram) lives in New Delhi, working as a receptionist for Union Minister G. Viswanathan (Prabhu). He intends to pursue IAS as per the wishes of his grandparents (Delhi Ganesh and Sumitra), who have raised him in a Brahmincal and nonviolent manner so he does not end up as a police officer. One day, Ram meets Viswanathan's daughter Diya (Keerthy Suresh). Later, when Raavana kidnaps Diya, Ram rescues her, and she fell in love with him. After some time, he reciprocated her love. Ram passes the UPSC exam and leaves for Mussoorie. After his return, his grandparents are shocked to see he has decided to pursue IPS and that he has been posted in Tirunelveli. His grandfather explains what happened 28 years ago. When Saamy and Bhuvana were on their way to Tirunelveli, they were hacked to death by the Pichai brothers. Before dying, Saamy manages to open his dead wife's uterus and prematurely deliver his child (Ram). Bhuvana's parents take Ram and shift to Delhi, while the rest of their family is killed by Raavana. Ram leaves for Tiruneveli and decides to take on the Pichai brothers. He razes Perumal's statue, which had been placed at an intersection by Raavana. A cat-and-mouse game begins between Ram and Raavana, with both of them trying to get rid of each other. Ram kills Devendra and Mahendra, and Raavana finds out. Raavana and his henchmen orchestrate a train accident which kills Viswanathan. Ram finds out that Raavana is planning to go to Pakistan via Gujarat and Rajasthan, so he tracks him down. After a bitter fight, Ram subdues Raavana but leaves him to his fate in the middle of the Thar Desert with no man, town, or water source for several hundreds of kilometres. Raavana died after 17 days. Soon, Ram and Diya get married. The movie ends with the line "Saamy's adventure will continue".
- Vikram as DCP Aarusaamy "Saamy" and ACP Ram Saamy "Ram" IPS
- Prabhu as Union Minister G. Viswanathan
- Bobby Simha as Raavana Pichai
- Keerthy Suresh as Diya Viswanathan
- Aishwarya Rajesh as Bhuvana Aarusaamy (Replacing Trisha from the first film)
- John Vijay as Devendra Pichai
- O. A. K. Sundar as Mahendra Pichai
- Soori as Sakthi
- Imman Annachi as Thangavelu
- Ramesh Khanna as Punctuality Paramasivam
- Delhi Ganesh as Srinivasan, Bhuvana's father
- Sumitra as Bhuvana's mother
- Uma Riyaz Khan as Noorjahan
- Aishwarya as Shanthi
- Sanjeev as Santhosh
- Thyagu as MLA Aiyarettu Sundaram
- Bala Singh as MLA Aatangkarai Shanmugam
- Crane Manohar as Aarusaamy's aid
- Singamuthu as Brahmin
- Chaams as Sundaram
- Praveena as Meenakshi
- Sudha Chandran as Perumal's wife
- Bayilwan Ranganathan as Perumal's supporter
- Sri Latha as Paramasivam's wife
- Karna Radha as Police Inspector
- Jayamani as Police Inspector
- Indian Bhaskar as Rogue
- Japan Kumar as Gurka
- Mohamed Absar as Ramji
- Gunalan as Jayaraj
- Kota Srinivasa Rao as Ilaiya Perumal (Perumal Pichai) (special appearance)
In August 2016, during the audio launch of Iru Mugan, director Hari made an official announcement that he will unite with Vikram, also echoed by the latter, for a sequel to Saamy after 13 years being bankrolled by Shibu Thameens, as the principal photography was expected to commencing in the end of 2016 with Harris Jayaraj as music composer During December 2016, Shibu Thameens confirmed that the plan for sequel is still on putting end to the rumours of shelving the project, as director Hari and his team are involved in script development and commencing the principal photography tentatively during April 2017. During May 2017, it was officially announced that Devi Sri Prasad will be the composer of the flick and collaborating again with Vikram for the second time after Kanthasamy and Hari for the fifth time after Aaru, Venghai, Singam & Singam-2. In August 2017, news emerged that lyricist Viveka joined the composer and director for a music composition session at Puducherry. Kanal Kannan and Silva were tasked with action choreography. Priyan, Hari's regular cinematographer was also selected as well, but later Venkatesh Anguraj dons the cinematographer's hat after Priyan's demise due to heart attack in November 2017. Art direction is done by P. Shanmugam and P.V. Balaji, replacing K. Kadhir who earlier collaborates with Hari in his previous films.
Apart from Vikram reprising his role, Keerthy Suresh was selected as the female lead. Prabhu and comedian Soori were added to cast along with Bobby Simha. Trisha was originally going to reprise her role as Bhuvana from the first film, but opted out citing "creative differences"; she was replaced by Aishwarya Rajesh.
Despite the commencement of pre-production, the shooting was supposed to be commenced during June or July 2017 as quoted by the film producer, various sources towards reported that the shoot would start towards the end of September 2017. Finally, the principal photography commenced in Chennai from 30 September 2017 onwards. The director also revealed that the film will be shot in Delhi, Mussoorie and Nepal after shooting considerable portions in Chennai. In early October, the film's new title was revealed to be Saamy Square. Most of the scenes were shot at various locations within the city of Trivandrum and also in karaikudi by setting the name of Thirunelveli. Indiaglitz mentioned the movie "A Speedy journeys to Nowhere" in their review. They also added, " Go for this ride if you are a fan of Vikram and are immune to Deja Vu" 
The music had been composed by Devi Sri Prasad, who replaces the predecessor's music composer Harris Jayaraj. The first single "Adhiroobaney" released on the 10th of July, with lyrics being penned by Viveka and sung by M. M. Manasi. The second single "Molaga Podiye" soon followed and released on the 18th of July. The first Telugu single "Adhi Sundara" released on the 21st of August, with lyrics being penned by Sri Mani and sung by Manasi.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||23 July 2018|
|Producer||Devi Sri Prasad|
|Devi Sri Prasad chronology|
Track listing (Tamil)
|1.||"Adhiroobaney"||Viveka||M. M. Manasi||4:32|
|2.||"Molagapodiye"||Viveka||Sanjith Hegde, Rita Thyagarajan||4:23|
|3.||"Darnakka"||Viveka||Benny Dayal, Anthony Daasan||4:56|
|4.||"Pudhu Metro Rail"||Devi Sri Prasad||Vikram, Keerthy Suresh||4:18|
Track listing (Telugu)
|1.||"Athi Sundara"||Sri Mani||M. M. Manasi||4:32|
|2.||"Mirchi Poduma"||Sahithi||Sanjith Hegde, Rita||4:23|
|3.||"Darrnaka"||Sahithi||Sagar, Anthony Daasan||4:56|
|4.||"Kottha Metro Rail"||Devi Sri Prasad||Hemachandra, Sravana Bhargavi||4:18|
|5.||"Amma Amma (Telugu)"||Sri Mani||Karthik||3:45|
Release and reception
Saamy Square was released 21 September 2018. The film received mixed reviews from critics. Film is reported to be a hit which managed to have a worldwide gross of 51 Crores within 10 days. 
- "Vikram teams up with director Hari for 'Saamy 2'". The Hindu. Chennai. IANS. 2 August 2016. Retrieved 30 September 2017.
- "Vikram teams up with director Hari for 'Saamy 2'". The Indian Express. Chennai. IANS. 2 August 2016. Retrieved 30 September 2017.
- ""Anand Shankar skipped a big hero film for doing 'Iru Mugan' with me" – Vikram". Indiaglitz. 2 August 2016. Retrieved 30 September 2017.
- S, Subhakeerthana (3 August 2016). "Saamy 2 on cards!". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 30 September 2017.
- "Hari and Vikram to team up again !!!!". Indiaglitz. 2 August 2016. Retrieved 30 September 2017.
- "Saamy 2: Vikram will collaborate with Singam director Hari for sequel to 2003 hit". India Today. New Delhi. 2 August 2016. Retrieved 30 September 2017.
- "Will Vikram's 'Saamy-2' take off?". Sify. 28 December 2016. Retrieved 30 September 2017.
- "'Saamy 2' not shelved, clarifies producer". The Times of India. 16 January 2017. Retrieved 30 September 2017.
- "DSP replaces Harris Jayaraj in 'Saamy 2'". Business Standard. Chennai. IANS. 17 May 2017. Retrieved 30 September 2017.
- "Here is an update on Saamy2". Times of India. 20 August 2017. Retrieved 30 September 2017.
- Janani K (21 September 2017). "Prabhu and Soori join Saamy 2". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 30 September 2017.
- "Saamy² - Trailer". PakkaTv. 4 June 2018.
- S Subhakeerthana (27 October 2016). "Excited to see Vikram and me together again: Trisha". The New Indian Express. p. 2. Retrieved 30 September 2017.
- Srivatsan (27 October 2016). "Trisha on Saamy 2: Excited to work with Vikram again". India Today. New Delhi. Retrieved 30 September 2017.
- "Prabhu and Soori join Vikram's 'Saamy-2'". Sify. 21 September 2017. Retrieved 30 September 2017.
- Karthik, Kumar (23 March 2017). "Actor Vikram's Saamy 2 to roll from June or July". Hindustan Times. Chennai. Retrieved 30 September 2017.
- Thinkal, Menon (18 September 2017). "Trisha and Keerthy Suresh have crucial roles in Hari's Saamy 2". The Times of India. Retrieved 30 September 2017.
- "Vikram, Trisha film Saamy 2 to finally go on floors in the last week of September". Hindustan Times. Chennai: IANS. 22 September 2017. Retrieved 30 September 2017.
- "Hari's 'Saamy-2 shoot begins in Chennai". Sify. Chennai. 30 September 2017. Retrieved 30 September 2017.
- "Saamy 2: Vikram and Keerthy Suresh begin work on the sequel". Hindustan Times. New Delhi. 30 September 2017. Retrieved 30 September 2017.
- "'Saamy 2' to finally go on floors later this month". Business Standard. Chennai. IANS. 21 September 2017. Retrieved 30 September 2017.
- "Chiyaan Vikrams Saamy sequel titled Saamy Square". India Today. 2 October 2017. Retrieved 2 October 2017.
- LMK (22 September 2018). "Exclusive: Chiyaan Vikram's Saamy Square box-office opening report". In.com. Retrieved 29 October 2018.