Saanich Police Department
|Saanich Police Department|
Heraldic badge of Saanich PD
Shoulder Flash of the Saanich Police
Serving the People
|Annual budget||$27 million CDN |
|Operations jurisdiction||Saanich, British Columbia, Canada|
|Governing body||Saanich Police Board|
|Headquarters||760 Vernon Ave|
|Police constables||181 as of 2017|
|Civilians||60 as of 2017|
|Elected officers responsible|
The Saanich Police Department is the police force for the District of Saanich, British Columbia led by Chief Constable Bob Downie consisting of 181 sworn members, supported by 60 civilians and 50 volunteer reserve constables.
The Saanich Police are also the first police force in Canada to have a mobile shooting range, named "Road Range", a self-contained facility to train officers with the use of firearms but unlike traditional shooting ranges, it is a soundproof system in a trailer, that can be deployed across the Greater Victoria Region.
In seven of fifteen years, up to 2005, the Saanich Police have had Canada's top police dog, as chosen at national championships, an unusual feat for a smaller department.
Saanich Police is led by Chief Constable Bob Downie, supported by a deputy chief constable who oversees six divisions as outlined below:
- Professional standards audits and plans
- Staff development
- Community engagement
The 9-1-1 service point for contacting the SPD is at the Saanich Integrated Police/Fire Communications Centre which was officially opened on December 11, 2008. Unlike traditional emergency communication/police dispatch centres, the centre serves the following municipalities and districts with an approximate population of 170,000 : North Saanich, Sidney, Central Saanich (collectively known as Saanich Peninsula), Oak Bay and Saanich itself.
Integrated road safety unit (IRSU)
Two Saanich police officers are seconded to the 15-member IRSU. The IRSU is mandated to "providing intelligence led enforcement while targeting aggressive driving behaviors, reducing alcohol-related crashes and encouraging the use of seatbelts" within the Capital Regional District. This unit comprises officers from Saanich, Victoria Police Department, Oak Bay Police Department, Central Saanich Police and the RCMP under an agreement with the BC Ministry of Public Safety and solicitor general and they patrol in specially RCMP marked cars and are able to enforce laws outside their municipal jurisdiction.
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- District of Saanich 2013 - 2016 Financial Plan
- Chase Vehicle - Canadian Biker Magazine
- Saanich police broadcasting podcasts
- Saanich police use podcasting to extend long arm of the law
- Police 2.0: New Technology Puts Police at the Forefront of Social Media
- Speaking notes for The Honourable John van Dongen
- Modified trailer unveiled as shooting range for Saanich police
- "B.C. police dog best in Canada: Rogue from Saanich tops 35 other dogs for top honours", The Canadian Press, reprinted in The Province, 2005-09-28, p. A24.
- Administrative Division
- Saanich Integrated Police/Fire Communications Centre Officially Opened
- Integrated Road Safety Unit Archived 2009-05-01 at the Wayback Machine