Saar Klein (Hebrew: סער קליין; born 1967) is an Israeli-American film editor and director who has been nominated twice for Academy Awards (for The Thin Red Line and for Almost Famous), and who received an ACE Eddie Award for editing the latter film.
Klein was born in Jerusalem, Israel. He immigrated to the United States with his parents at the age of 9. In 1989, Klein received a bachelor's degree in psychology from Vassar College in Poughkeepsie, New York.
Klein was offered an internship with editor Joe Hutshing on the film JFK (directed by Oliver Stone-1991); his first editing credit (as an apprentice to editors David Brenner and Sally Menke) was for the 1993 film Heaven & Earth (directed by Oliver Stone). The Thin Red Line, which was nominated for an editing Academy Award, was only his second credit as an editor. Klein shared this credit with Leslie Jones and Billy Weber; the film was directed by Terrence Malick. Klein and Joe Hutshing co-edited Almost Famous (2000), which was directed by Cameron Crowe.
Klein edited The Bourne Identity (directed by Doug Liman - 2002), which was the first in the series of films based on the novels of Robert Ludlum. Christopher Rouse, who worked as an additional editor on The Bourne Identity, edited the subsequent films that were directed by Paul Greengrass. Klein subsequently co-edited The New World (2005) (again with director Terrence Malick); Malick's films have typically used several editors. Klein recently edited Jumper (2008) (with director Doug Liman).
Klein has written and directed two short films, Nouveau Riche No. 11 and Nouveau Riche No. 34, which have been shown at several film festivals.
Filmography (as feature film editor)
- Fighting (Montiel-2009; with Jake Pushinsky)
- Jumper (Liman-2008)
- The New World (Malick-2005; with Richard Chew, Hank Corwin, and Mark Yoshikawa)
- The Bourne Identity (Liman-2002)
- Almost Famous (Crowe-2000; with Joe Hutshing)
- Endurance (Woodhead, Greenspan-1999)
- The Thin Red Line (Malick-1998; with Leslie Jones and Billy Weber)
- For Which He Stands (McCormick-1996)
- Promotional materials for the film Jumper distributed by 20th Century Fox. The materials were posted to the web at http://upperrogue.bestredyp.com/movie.html?browse=info&show=45702; retrieved April 23, 2008.
- Biographical materials Archived 2007-08-23 at the Wayback Machine. posted to the web by Skouras, Ltd.; Klein is one of the firm's clients. Retrieved April 23, 2008.
- Wood, Jennifer M. (February 3, 2007). "The Power of Positive Friction: A Conversation with Editor Saar Klein". MovieMaker. Archived from the original on May 11, 2008. Retrieved 2008-09-11.
- "Panorama 2014: First Films". berlinale. Retrieved 2014-01-01.