Originally named Bayil Bibi-Heybat, the raion assumed the name of Joseph Stalin in 1931 and in 1960 was renamed after 26 Baku Commissars. On April 29, 1992 the raion gained the name of Sabail, the historical architectural ensemble about 350 m south-west to the Baku Bay.
Current head of the raion's executive power is Eldar Azizov (since 2015). The governing body includes the juridical, socio-economic and other departments.
Sabail is the name of a historical monument (castle) built in the 13th century located near the Baku Bay and remained under the sea water due to tectonic activities in the 14th century. Sabail Castle surrounded with a stone wall (180 m length and 40 m width) consisting of 3 circular and 12 semicircular towers.
The Office of Azerbaijan President, Milli Majlis, Cabinet of Ministers, Constitutional Court , Executive Power of Baku city, Government House, a few ministries, state committees, 13 embassies to Azerbaijan, offices of international organizations and companies are located in Sabail raion.
Popular destinations of citizens and tourists, like Martyrs' Avenue, Alley of Honor, Heydar Aliyev Foundation, Mugham Center, Old City, National Flag Square, Fountains Square, Nizami str, Baku Boulevard, Azadliq Square, Baku Funicular are in the area of this raion as well.
There are 5 universities, 17 schools, 18 kindergartens, 3 creative centers for children, 3 sport schools, 3 music schools, 22 health centers, 2 sport complexes, 47 hotels, additionally, 7 theaters, 5 libraries, 16 museums, 5 culture houses, 4 parks, 18 leisure gardens in this region.
- "About". Executive Power of Sabail Raion. Retrieved 7 May 2017.
- "Territories, number and density of population by towns and regions of the Republic of Azerbaijan". The State Statistical Committee of the Republic of Azerbaijan. Archived from the original on 27 December 2016.
- "Head of the Executive Power". Executive Power of Sabail Raion. Retrieved 7 May 2017.
- "History". Executive Power of Sabail Raion. Retrieved 7 May 2017.
- TERRITORIAL AND ADMINISTRATIVE UNITS (PDF). Administrative Department of the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan - Presidential Library. p. 22.
- "Education". Executive Power of Sabail Raion. Retrieved 2017-11-01.
- "Culture". Executive Power of Sabail Raion. Retrieved 7 May 2017.
|This Baku location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|