Sabily Badr 11.04 Unity desktop
|Source model||Open source|
|Latest release||11.10 (Uhud) / December 19, 2011|
|Available in||Multilingual (more than 55)|
|Update method||APT (front-ends available)|
|Platforms||x86 (32 bits) and x86-64 (64 bits)|
|Kernel type||Monolithic (Linux)|
|Default user interface||GNOME|
|License||GNU GPL and others|
Sabily (Arabic: سبيلي, IPA: [sæˈbiːliː], My Way) is a Linux distribution based on the Ubuntu, designed by and for Muslims. Formerly called Ubuntu Muslim Edition, Sabily was released from 2007 to 2011, and is currently classed as "dormant" by DistroWatch.
Sabily is designed for Muslim users to have “out of the box” Arabic language support and Islamic software and tools installed, including a prayer times tool, a Qur'an study tool, a Hijri calendar, etc.
The Unity shell is based on GNOME 3 on Sabily 11.10, Unity 2D for graphic cards without 3D capabilities. The Unity shell became available on the Sabily 11.04 Badr DVD. Ubuntu Classic Desktop was the default desktop in Sabily (11.04), but Unity in Ubuntu 11.04. New applications in Badr: Islamic Date, Zakat Calc, Gufw, DesktopNova, AutoKey, recordMyDesktop, Anki. The full version of Sabily comes with out of the box educational software, codecs for the most used media formats. Wisabi is a Sabily 11.04 installer for Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7 based on Wubi.
Sabily was previously named as Ubuntu Muslim Edition (UbuntuME). Sabily is following releasing cycle of Ubuntu. After Ubuntu 9.04, It was changed to Sabily.
- UbuntuME 7.04 released 12/10/2007
- UbuntuME 7.10 released 02/12/2007
- UbuntuME 8.04 released 17/05/2008
- UbuntuME 8.04.1 released 22/07/2008
- Sabily 9.04 Taibah released 12/05/2009
- Sabily 9.10 Gaza released 27/12/2009
- Sabily 10.04 Manarat released 28/06/2010
- Sabily 10.10 Al-Quds released 02/11/2010
- Sabily 11.04 Badr released 05/05/2011
- Sabily 11.10 Uhud released 19/12/2011
There are currently three versions of Sabily, but there is no official host at the moment.
- Small version (967.96 MB), contains the main Sabily packages, including artwork and Islamic applications and Arabic support.
- Full version (1.55 GB), contains the same as the Small version plus multimedia, educational and miscellaneous packages.
- Ultimate version (3.3 GB), has the same content as the Full version, plus Qur'an offline recitations provided by Muhammad Siddeeq al-Minshawi, Huzify, Saad al-Ghamadi and Mishary Rashed Alafasy.
The Ultimate version is useful mainly when not connected to the Internet, yet all Sabily versions provide online Qur'an recitations.
Sabily is available as a Live DVD, which can be booted on the host computer without installation. The Wisabi installer can install Sabily to the hard disk within Microsoft Windows, without involving risky formatting or partitioning.
As compared to Ubuntu:
- zekr: Qur'anic Study Tool
- minbar: Islamic prayer times application
- monajat: application that popups prayers every predetermined time
- Firefox-praytimes: Firefox extension that displays Islamic daily prayer times
- webstrict: UI frontend to DansGuardian (web content filtering tool)
- nanny: the GNOME Nanny parental-control system
- thwab: Electronic Encyclopedia System
- hijra: Islamic calendar
- mus-haf Othman: Othman Qur'an Browser
- noor: Qur'an viewer
- fsool: abbreviated chapters in the Messenger vita
- rejaal: Men around the prophet
- language-pack-ar: translations for language Arabic
- language-pack-gnome-ar: GNOME translations for language Arabic
- mozilla-Firefox-locale-ar: Mozilla Firefox Arabic language/region package
- aspell-ar: Arabic dictionary for aspell
- acon: Text console arabization
- bicon: Console that supports bidirectional text display
- Arab eyes qamoos: Arabic-English dictionary
- fonts-hosny-amiri: Arabic Naskh style typographically oriented font (Amiri is a classical Arabic typeface in Naskh style for typesetting books and other running text)
Zekr is an open platform Quran study tool for browsing and researching on the Quran. Recitations and translations are available for download.
Small version DVD available online recitations
- Abdulbasit Abdussamad (64kbit/s)
- Mishary bin Rashid Al-Afasy (128kbit/s)
- Saad Al-Ghamdi (40kbit/s)
- Mohammed Siddiq Al-Minshawi (16kbit/s)
- Maher Al-Muaiqly (128kbit/s)
- Abu Bakr Ash-Shatri (128kbit/s)
- Saud Al-Shuraim (128kbit/s)
- Abdul Rahman Al-Sudais (192kbit/s)
Minbar indicates the time when Muslims should pray. It runs in background as a tray icon and plays the "athan" (call to prayer) at prayer times. Minbar works with the main calculation methods, such as Muslim League (default), Shafii, and Hanafi. Muslims observe salat five times a day, and Minbar helps to remind of daily prayer times.
|Initial release||2011-09-11 (v2.6.1-3)|
|Operating system||Linux, Windows|
The application an application provided by the Sabily community.
|Developer(s)||Soire Meira, Sabily Team|
|Initial release||May 7, 2011|
|Development status||Release candidate|
|Operating system||Linux, Windows|
|Available in||Malay, Indonesian, English, Arabic, Italian|
Zakat Calc is an application for Linux. Zakat Calc helps Muslims to calculate Zakat types: Gold, silver, stones, jewels, savings in bank, property, loans, business, firms, animals (2.5%) and agriculture (10%). Zakat Calc is included in Sabily, a free, open source operating system designed by and for Muslims.
This project is for the OS Sabily. To calculate the amount of the payment of zakat. Used for educational purpose and public use. This project is free. It was created using the Gambas programming language and it runs on Linux.
Gnome Nanny (Parental Control) is an easy way to control how long users or your kids can be on the computer and what they can and can't access browsing the web.
- Free software
- GNU General Public License
- Minbar (software)
- Ojuba Linux – Fedora based Arabic linux distribution
- Open source
- GNOME Languages
- Sabily downloads
- Sabily 11.04 released!
- Sabily content
- William von Hagen (13 May 2010). Ubuntu Linux Bible: Featuring Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. John Wiley & Sons. p. 34. ISBN 978-0-470-88180-4.
- "Sabily 11.10 released!". Retrieved 11 January 2012.
- "Debian -- Details of package font-hosny-amiri in sid". Retrieved 11 January 2012.
- Debian -- Details of package minbar in sid
- Islamic Prayer Timings
- Monajat in Launchpad
- Roberto Majadas; Cesar Garcia; Luis de Bethencourt (11 June 2011). "What is Gnome Nanny?". Retrieved 12 June 2011.
- Official website
- Sabily at DistroWatch
- sabily blogsphere: Sabily 11.04 Badr Released
- Quick Look: Ubuntu Muslim Edition 10.10 (Sabily Al Quds)
- Sabily 10.04 review from Desktop Linux Reviews
- Sabily 9.04 review from Softpedia
- Sabily 9.04 review from ExtremeTech
- Sabily 9.04 reviewed in LinuxToday * Zakat Calc in Launchpad