|Member of the European Parliament|
24 October 1964 |
|Political party|| German:
Christian Democratic Union
European People's Party
|Alma mater||FH Aachen|
Education and Private Life
She joined the Christian Democratic Union (CDU) in 1990. Since 2001 she is a member of CDU Regional Executive Committee of North Rhine-Westphalia and since 2002 member of the Regional Executive Committee of the CDU Municipal Policy Association (KPV).
Member of the European Parliament, 2009–present
In the 2009 elections, Verheyen was elected to the European Parliament. She has since served as member of the Committee on Culture and Education and the Delegation for relations with South Africa. Between 2009 and 2014, she also served as a substitute member on the Committee on Regional Development and the Delegation for relations with Iran. In addition, she is a member of the European Parliament Intergroup on the Digital Agenda and of the European Parliament Intergroup on Children’s Rights.
Alongside Petra Kammerevert, Verheyen was selected in 2016 as co-rapporteur on the audio-visual media services directive, which seeks to introduce levies and cultural quotas on services like Netflix.
- Caritas-Gemeinschaftsstiftung für das Bistum Aachen, Member of the Board of Trustees
- European Internet Foundation, Member of the Steering Committee
- Westdeutscher Rundfunk (WDR), Alternate Member of the Broadcasting Council
- "MEP profile: Sabine Verheyen". European Parliament. Retrieved 26 September 2010.
- "Homepage of Sabine Verheyen" (in German). Retrieved 26 September 2010.
- Members of the European Parliament on the Digital Agenda European Parliament.
- Members of the European Parliament Intergroup on Children’s Rights European Parliament.
- Chris Spillane (June 13, 2016), MEPs crafting Netflix legislation sit on board of German public broadcaster Politico Europe.