|Live album by|
|Recorded||CBGB, New York, 16 June 1979|
Animal Justice EP August 1977
|Label||SPY/I.R.S. (original release), A&M Canada (reissue), Diesel Motor Records (reissue)|
|John Cale chronology|
Sabotage/Live is a live album by John Cale. It was recorded at CBGB, New York on 16 June 1979, and released by SPY Records in December 1979. It was later reissued on CD by A&M Records Canada, and reissued again in the UK by Diesel Motor Records.
NME said of the band, "What they lack in finesse they make up for with a remorseless drive that equally befits Cale's cold-blooded, gut-churning music of fear – but puts the weight on the gut-churning. In fact it's surprising that there isn't a song about a mass-murderer amongst them; instead, for the first side at least, Cale is in the grip of post-nuclear mental tremors, raving obsessively about espionage, atom bombs and the dogs of war."
All songs written by John Cale, except "Walkin' the Dog" written by Rufus Thomas, Jr.
Original 1979 release
- "Mercenaries (Ready for War)"
- "Baby You Know"
- "Dr. Mudd"
- "Walkin' the Dog"
- "Captain Hook"
- "Only Time Will Tell"
Bonus tracks 1999 reissue
The Diesel Motor CD reissue contains four extra tracks. The first three are originally from the Animal Justice EP, while the fourth was the B-side of the "Mercenaries (Ready for War)" single (the A-side, which was an entirely different recording than the live album version, was not included as the master tape is lost):
"Chicken Shit / Memphis" b/w "Hedda Gabler" 7" & 12" UK August 1977.
"Jack The Ripper in the Moulin Rouge" b/w "Memphis" (instrumental) 7" UK 1977. "Jack The Ripper" was eventually released on the compilation Seducing Down the Door in 1994.
"Mercenaries (Ready for War)" b/w "Rosegarden Funeral of Sores" 7" US 1980. The sleeve notes that on the B-Side the "vocal distortion (is) intended."
- John Cale - vocals, piano, guitar, fretless bass, viola
- Marc Aaron - lead guitar
- Joe Bidewell - keyboards, vocals
- Doug Bowne - drums, vocals
- Deerfrance - percussion, vocals
- George Scott - bass, vocals
- Jane Friedman - executive producer
- Charlie Martin - recording
- Warren Frank, John Cale - mixing
- John Vogel - art direction
- Hugh Brown - photography
Animal Justice EP
- John Cale - vocals
- Ritchie Flieger - guitar
- Jimmy Bain - bass
- Bruce Brody - Moog synthesizer
- Kevin Currie - drums
- Jane Friedman - backing vocals on "Chicken Shit"
"Rosegarden Funeral of Sores"
- John Cale - vocals, bass, Wurlitzer piano
- Michael Mason - rhythm/drum machine
"Mercenaries (Ready for War)" single version
- John Cale - vocals, organ, guitar
- Joe Bidewell - Hammond organ, vocals
- Peter Muny - bass guitar, vocals
- Deerfrance - vocals
- Robert Medici - drums, vocals
- Sturgis Nikides - lead guitar