Saboted light armor penetrator
Design and use
The SLAP design incorporates a polymer sabot, which allows for the use of a tungsten penetrator projectile of a lesser diameter than the original bore. By using the casing of a large cartridge with a lightweight projectile, the velocity of the projectile is greatly increased and the sectional density is improved.
Types of SLAP ammunition
- The 7.62mm round is designated as the M948 (standard) and M959 (tracer)
- The .50 BMG round is designated as the M903 (standard) and M962 (tracer)
- The 14.5mm round is designated as DGJ-02 SLAP by the Chinese military.
The SLAP family of ammunition is produced by the Winchester Cartridge Company and Olin Manufacturing. The team began production of the ammunition in 1985. The sabot that contains the sub-caliber is manufactured by Cytec Industries.
- Wz. 35 anti-tank rifle
- Armour-piercing discarding sabot - the equivalent class of ordnance caliber ammunition.
- http://www.dtic.mil/dticasd/sbir/sbir032/a044a.pdf TM43-0001-27 US Army Ammunition Data Sheets - Small Caliber Ammunition, HQ Department of the Army, 6/81, Including changes (Not to be used as reloading data)