13 May 1916|
|Died||21 August 2004
|Pen name||Sachi Rautara|
|Notable awards||Jnanpith Award|
He started his writing career through " patheya " (1st poetry) in 1932.In 1943, Routray became very famous among Oriya readers when he published Baji Rout, a long poem that celebrated the martyrdom of a boatman boy who succumbed to the bullets of British police when he refused to take them in his rickety boat to cross the river Brahmani. He was a prolific poet and published as many as twenty anthologies. His Pallishri, dealing with village life in Orissa, is as successful as his poem Pratima Nayak that portrays the suffering and the predicament of a city girl. He belonged to a group of writers who called themselves 'poets of the people'.
Routray also published a few poems with religion as their theme.
"Chhata Mara Gan ti" was written by Routray. This topic is now teaching by most of the teacher in Odisha.
Awards and recognitions
- Padmashree in 1962.
- Sahitya Akademi Award in 1963 for the poetry Kabita-1962.
- Soviet Land Nehru Award in 1965.
- Jnanpith Award in 1986.
Lifetime fellowship (kendra sahitya academi) - 1988 " Mahakabi " samman-1986 - Rourkela, 1988 - Cuttack President - Nikhil Bharat Kabita Sammelan -Kolkata (1968),Rourkela(1988) Sahitya Bharati Award - 1997
- "Sachidananda Routray passes away". The Hindu. 2004-08-22. Retrieved 2008-11-06.
- "SACHI ROUTRAY". orissadiary.com. 2012. Retrieved 23 May 2012.
Sachi Routray was born in Gurujang near Khurda on May 13, 1916.
- "Sahitya Akademi Awards 1955-2007 (Oriya)". Sahity Akademi. Retrieved 2008-11-06.[dead link]
- "Jnanpith Laureates". Bharatiya Jnanpith. Retrieved 2008-11-06.