Sachiko Kodama is a Japanese artist. She is best known for her artwork using ferrofluid, a dark colloidal suspension of magnetic nano-particles dispersed in solution which remains strongly magnetic in its fluid. By controlling the fluid with a magnetic field, it is formed to create complex 3-dimensional shapes as a "liquid sculpture".
Kodama was born in Kagoshima Prefecture and raised in the Shizuoka Prefecture. Kagoshima is the southwestern tip of the Kyushu island of Japan. It is a subtropical area. Its biological diversity greatly inspired her curiosity toward art and science. She graduated in Physics at the Department of Science at Hokkaido University in 1993 then shifting her focus, entered the University of Tsukuba's Graduate School of Art and Design. After holding a PhD in art from the University of Tsukuba she has been teaching in the University of Electro-communications in Tokyo as an associate professor.
Shows and exhibitions
Kodama started working in ferrofluid with her project “ Protrude, Flow” in 2000, created in collaboration with Minako Takeno." "Protrude, Flow" was exhibited at the SIGGRAPH 2001 Art Gallery, the Skirball Cultural Center in Los Angeles, and the Mood River exhibition held at the Wexner Center for the Arts in Columbus.
In 2010 Kodama exhibited “Morpho Tower” and “Breathing Chaos” at Cyber Arts Japan, a media art exhibition hosted by the Museum of Contemporary Art, Tokyo. Matthew Larking described her work as "Sachiko Kodama's small yet powerful piece "Morpho Tower" displays a seemingly organic life form, which is actually ferrofluid dynamically sculpted by electromagnets."
Other noted group and solo shows include:
• Souls&Machines (Reina Sofia National Museum, Madrid) 2008
• Ars Electronica 2009 Device Art Exhibit (Ars Electronica Center, Linz) 2009
• ArtFutura 2009 (Auditorio IMAGINA, Barcelona) 2009
• The Armory Show 2010 (Morpho Tower with Acura ZDX team, New York) 2010
• Japan Media Arts Festival in Istanbul (Pera Museum, Istanbul) 2010
• Poetry of Motion - External Exhibition Ars Electronica (Automobilforum Unter den Linden, Berlin) 2010
• Silicon Dreams- Art, Science and Technology in the European Union (Tabakalera, San Sebastián) 2010
• ArtFutura XXI (Bilbao, Spain) 2011
• Morpho Tower was shown at CHANEL's J12 watch events in Paris/Tokyo/New York 2011
• Sachiko Kodama 'My Little Sea' at NC Soft 'Creative Fountain' (Curator:Art Center Nabi), Seoul 2011
• Sachiko Kodama Solo Exhibition, Input/Output Gallery, Hong Kong 2011
• 'Transmutation' Exhibition, Highline Loft, New York 2012 
• The 5th Media Arts Festival, Agency for Cultural Affairs, Grand Prize (Digital Art Interactive Division)2001
• The 16th Digital Content Grand Prix, Digital Content Association of Japan, Art Award, 2001
• Japan Information-Culture Society, Art Award 2002
- Jennifer N.Thonmpson (2005). Transmaterial. Princeton Architectural Press. p. 71. ISBN 978-1568985633.
- Blaine Brownell (2011). Matter in the Floating world. Princeton Architectural Press. pp. 192–199. ISBN 978-1568989969.
- Kodama, Sachiko. "Dynamic ferrofluid sculpture: organic shape-changing art forms". cacm.acm.org. Communications of the ACM.
- Majzoub, Maha. "Magnetic Appeal:Sachiko Kodama Sets the Lows of Attraction (Interview of Sachiko Kodama)". www.ragmag.co.
- Gallery Sakamaki website, / "Profile of sachiko kodama"
- Edward A. Shanken (Ed.) (2009). Art and Electronic Media. Phaidon Press Limited. pp. 21–22. ISBN 978 07148 4782 5.
- "SIGGRAPH 2001: N-Space Art Gallery: Protrude, Flow". SIGGRAPH.
- Cuevas-Wolf, Cristina. "Time/Space, Gravity, and Light". www.caareviews.org. College Art Association, Inc.
- Thompson, Mark. "Cyber Arts Japan: As interactive as they want to be". japantimes.co.jp. The Japan Times. Retrieved 15 October 2011.
- Conny Freyer; Sebastien Noel; Eva Rucki (2009). DIGITAL BY DESIGN. Thames & Hudson. pp. 122–124. ISBN 9780500514382.
- Herausgegeben von; Gerfried Stocker; Christine Schopf (2003). Ars Electronica 2003: Code:The Language of our Time. Hatje Cantz Publishers. p. 424. ISBN 978-3775713566.
- Montxo Algora. Art Futura 2008. Art Futura. pp. 26–29. ISBN 849220849X.
- Teddy Lo, Sachiko Kodama And Ryota Kuwakubo Glow At 'Transmutation' Exhibition In New York  International Business Times