Sacramento California Temple
|Sacramento California Temple|
|Dedication||3 September 2006
Gordon B. Hinckley
|Site||46 acres (18.6 hectares)|
|Floor area||19,500 sq ft (1,810 m2)|
|Height||131 ft (40 m)|
|Preceded by||Newport Beach California Temple|
|Followed by||Helsinki Finland Temple|
|Official website • News & images|
The church's First Presidency announced on April 21, 2001, that a temple would be built in the Sacramento area. This temple is the seventh built by the church in California, more than any state except Utah. The Sacramento California Temple serves a growing membership which totals approximately 80,000 in the area.
Plans for building the temple were met with little resistance by the surrounding communities and government bodies. Many were glad for the building of the temple in the area, because it would improve the land and bring visitors and money into the area. There was some concern about the height of the temple spire, and the church agreed to lower it 20 feet (6.1 m).
On August 22, 2004, a site dedication and groundbreaking ceremony were held. LDS Church president Gordon B. Hinckley presided at the ceremony and gave the site dedication prayer. Other prominent church members from the area also attended the groundbreaking and site dedication, including Congressman John Doolittle. The site for the temple, located in Rancho Cordova, covers 46 acres (190,000 m2) and includes views of the Sierra Nevada. The temple grounds were designed to fit in with the surrounding landscape. The temple design is slightly larger than most of the LDS temples constructed at the same time. The temple has a total of 19,500 square feet (1,810 m2), two ordinance rooms, and four sealing rooms.
An open house was held July 29-August 26, 2006, to allow the public to tour the temple prior to its dedication.
Hinckley dedicated the Sacramento California Temple on September 3, 2006. The dedication was given in four sessions to allow all those who would like to attend the opportunity to participate. The night before the dedication, a cultural celebration was performed at Power Balance Pavilion.
- William W. Parmley, former temple president
- Comparison of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- List of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- List of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints by geographic region
- Temple architecture (LDS Church)
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in California
- Satterfield, Rick, "Sacramento California Temple", LDSChurchTemples.com, retrieved 2012-10-16
- Eames, Eric (August 30, 2006), "News from the Church", LDS.org (LDS Church), retrieved 2012-10-16
- Hill, Greg (September 4, 2006). "Pres. Hinckley dedicates the Sacramento Temple". Deseret Morning News. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- "News Story", Newsroom (LDS Church), 26 July 2006
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sacramento California Temple.|
- Sacramento California Temple official website
- Sacramento California Temple at LDSChurchTemples.com
- Sacramento Temple Construction Video & QTVR Panoramas at jensenvideo.com