Sacred Heart-Griffin High School
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Sacred Heart-Griffin High School|
|1200 West Washington Street
Springfield, Illinois 62702
|School type||Private, Coeducational|
|Motto||"Academic Excellence in a Community of Faith"|
|Oversight||SHG Board of Directors|
|Color(s)||Gold and Black|
|Athletics conference||Central State Eight Conference|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools|
Sacred Heart-Griffin High School, often abbreviated SHG, is Springfield, Illinois' largest private high school. The school is Roman Catholic and is located in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Springfield in Illinois. It opened in the fall of 1988 after Sacred Heart Academy, an all-girls Catholic high school merged with Griffin High School, an all-boys Catholic High School located across the street. Even prior to the merger, certain classes at both schools were taught on a co-educational basis.
The part of campus which formerly housed Griffin High School is now known as the West Campus. The part of campus which was home to Sacred Heart Academy is known as the East Campus. Both facilities are used by SHG, with most of the school's athletic facilities being located on the West Campus and the majority of the academic facilities being located on the East Campus. On the school's East Campus is a motherhouse for a Dominican order of religious sisters.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (April 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
All of the sports teams are known as the "Cyclones". In the fall the school offers football, cross country, boys' soccer, boys' and girls' golf, girls' swimming, volleyball, and girls' tennis. In the winter SHG has boys and girls' basketball, cheerleading, hockey, poms, boys swimming, and wrestling. In the spring, baseball, softball, girls soccer, boys and girls track, and boys tennis are played.
The school won state championships in football in 2005, 2006, 2008, 2013 & 2014, with runner-up finishes in 1975, 1982, 1995, 2003 and 2016. In baseball, the Cyclones were State Champions in 1964 and 1987 while earning second-place finishes in 1982 and 2014. In soccer, Sacred Heart-Griffin claimed state crowns in 1998 and 2002 in addition to a runner-up finish in 1999. On the links, the Cyclones boys won back to back state golf championships in 1979 and 1980. The Girls Cross Country team won back to back State AA Championships in 2007 and in 2008. The Cyclones of Cathedral High School, an all-boys predecessor to SHG, won a Catholic State Championship in basketball in 1939. In 2009 the school built a $6,000,000 football stadium.
- Stephen Glosecki, scholar of Old English
- Matt Mitrione, former NFL player; current mixed martial artist for Bellator MMA; formerly for the Ultimate Fighting Championship
- Ryan O'Malley, former MLB pitcher for the Chicago Cubs
- Eric Peterman, former NFL WR for the Chicago Bears; Northwestern University alumnus
- Ryan Held, swimmer, 2016 Olympics gold medalist as part of Men's 4x100 freestyle relay
- NCA-CASI. "NCA-Council on Accreditation and School Improvement". Archived from the original on April 29, 2009. Retrieved 2009-07-28.
- 2009-10 school tuition Archived November 11, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- SHGHS. "Sacred Heart-Griffin High School". Retrieved 2007-05-11.
- IHSA website, ihsa.org; accessed April 26, 2017.
- "Stephen O. Glosecki Obituary". The State Journal-Register. April 7, 2007. Retrieved April 15, 2014.
- "American 4x100m freestyle relay team wins gold over France". NBC Olympics. 2016-08-07. Retrieved 2017-04-27.