Sacred Heart High School (Connecticut)
|Sacred Heart High School|
Sacred Heart High School
|142 South Elm Street
Waterbury, Connecticut, (New Haven County) 06706
|Motto||Learning, Spirit, Service|
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|School board||Reverend John Bevins '50, Mr. Giuseppe D’Amelio '82, Mr. Francis Busch, Attorney Marianne Barbino Dubuque, Mr. Joseph Commendatore '70, Mr. Michael, Maunsell CPA '60, Monsignor James G. Coleman '54, Mr. Dave Petitti '78, Mr. Giuseppe Pisani '84, Ms. Lysa Margiotta '97, State Representative Selim Noujaim, Mr. William O’Donnell '73|
|School district||Archdiocese of Hartford|
|Superintendent||Dr. Dale R. Hoyt|
|Teaching staff||30 Full/Part-time teachers|
|Enrollment||350 (September 2012)|
|Average class size||21|
|Color(s)||Maroon and Gold|
|Athletics conference||Naugatuck Valley League|
|Sports||Boys: Football, Soccer, Cross-Country, Basketball, Swimming, Baseball, Tennis, Cheerleading, Indoor Track, Golf, Track & Field; Girls: Soccer, Swimming, Cross-Country, Basketball, Softball, Cheerleading, Golf, Indoor Track, Dance, Tennis, Track & Field, Cooperative Gymnastics|
|Accreditation||New England Association of Schools and Colleges|
|Director of Development||Karen Ciarleglio|
|Athletic Director||John Carroll|
|Admissions Director||Erin Laferriere|
Sacred Heart High School is a private, Roman Catholic high school located in the downtown district in the city of Waterbury, Connecticut. It is in the jurisdiction of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Hartford.
Sacred Heart was established in 1922 as an all-girls school. The school became coeducational in 1938. Since 1975, the school has been located in the old Waterbury Catholic High School building in downtown Waterbury.
The mission of Sacred Heart High School is to educate students of diverse backgrounds in a strong Catholic tradition in order to empower these students to be moral and productive members of society.
Sacred Heart High School:
- Integrates the teachings of Jesus Christ into every facet of school life.
- Provides an excellent education for students of all ability levels.
- Fosters higher order thinking skills and intellectual curiosity to enable students to become lifelong learners.
- Motivates students to fulfill their God-given potential spiritually, intellectually, physically, and socially.
- Challenges students to embrace their call to service within the larger community.
- Creates a safe and supportive environment to facilitate the learning process.
- Promotes a strong partnership with parents to enhance the student learning experience.
The administration, the faculty, and the staff of Sacred Heart High School are dedicated to enabling all of our students to experience the fullness of life that results from the development of individual talents.
- Moral Decisions
- Social Justice
- World Religions
- Advanced Placement
- Calculus (4th year)
- English 3 (3rd year)
- English 4 (4th year)
- U.S. History (3rd year)
- World History (2nd year)
- College Level
- Political Science (UConn)
- Marketing (Post)
- Management (Post)
- Intro to Allied Health (1/2 credit)
- CPR Certification
- First Aid Certification
- Discussion of the Healthcare Environment
- Allied Health (3 credits)
- Applications submitted end junior year (see below)
- Forensics (1/2 credit)
- Nutrition (1/2 credit)
- Anatomy & Physiology (1 credit)
- Human Body (1/2 credit)
- Physics (1 credit)
- Art – Drawing, Painting, Sculpture, Photoshop
- Word Processing
- TV Production
- Practical Economics (School Store)
- Fall: Boys and Girls Soccer, Girls Swimming/Diving, Co-Ed Cross Country, Cheer, Football
- Winter: Gymnastics, Co-Ed Cheer, Boys & Girls Basketball, Boys Swimming/Diving
- Spring: Baseball, Softball, Golf, Track & Field, Boys & Girls Tennis
- Part of the Naugatuck Valley League (NVL)
- Part of the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference (CIAC)
- 1949 Boys Basketball Class M State Champions
- 1967 Boys Basketball Class L State Champions
- 1984 Boys Basketball Class M State Champions
- 1990 Football Class S State Champions
- 1997 Boys Basketball Class M State Champions
- 1997 Boys Baseball Class S State Champions (the only state baseball title for the city of Waterbury)
- 2009 Boys Basketball Class M State Champions
- 2009, 2011, 2012 Boys Swimming Class S State Champions
- 2012 Boys NVL Swimming Champions
- 2011, 2012 NVL Cheer Champions (Co-Ed Division), as well as 4 first place titles in local competitions
- 2011 Boys Soccer NVL Coaches Sportsmanship Award
- 2014 Boys Basketball Class S State Champions
- 2015 Boys Basketball Class S State Champions
- 2016 Boys Basketball Class M State Champions
- Dave Wallace (baseball), Major League Baseball pitching coach, and a former general manager and player
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sacred Heart High School (Connecticut).|