Sacred Hearts Academy
|Sacred Hearts Academy|
|3253 Waiʻalae Avenue
Honolulu, Hawaiʻi 96816
|Motto||Orare Et Laborare
(To Pray and To Work)
|Religious affiliation(s)||Catholic Church (Sacred Hearts)|
|Head of school||Betty White|
|Color(s)||White and Gold|
|Accreditation||Western Association of Schools and Colleges|
|Affiliation||Congregation of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary|
|Dean of Faculty/Academics||Mary Girard|
|Dean of Students||Cyril Pires|
|Director of Admissions||Karen Muramoto|
|Athletic Director||Ryan Hogue|
Sacred Hearts Academy also known as Sacred Hearts or SHA is located on 3253 Waiʻalae Avenue, in the town of Kaimuki in Honolulu, Hawaiʻi, is a historic Roman Catholic college preparatory school for girls founded in 1909 to serve the needs of early Hawaiʻi Catholics in the former Territory of Hawaiʻi. The school maintains a special relationship with Chaminade University of Honolulu and the all-boys Saint Louis School, both administered by the Society of Mary.
Sacred Hearts was founded by nuns from the Congregation of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary, the religious order of Blessed Damien of Molokaʻi. Founded in 1909 as a boarding school, it grew rapidly within the next decade and, by the 1920s, more buildings were added to accommodate the students. The sisters ran the school until 1990, when it passed into lay administration.
Sacred Hearts has served as a filming location for several television shows set and shot on location in Hawaii. The season 6 finale of the critically acclaimed ABC series Lost was filmed there. In Hawaii Five-0, Sacred Hearts was used as Grace Williams' school.
- Emma Kaili Metcalf Beckley Nakuina, early female judge and cultural writer of Hawaii
- Elizabeth Kahanu Kalanianaʻole, Hawaiian princess
- Rosalie Keliʻinoi, first elected female Hawaii Territorial legislator in 1925
- Tia Carrere, actress, model, and singer
- Loretta Fuddy, director of the Hawaii Department of Health (2011-2013)
- Amata Coleman Radewagen, Congressional delegate
- Faith Rivera, singer-songwriter
Notes and references
- WASC-ACS. "WASC-Accrediting Commission for Schools". Retrieved 2009-08-04.
- Wist, Benjamin O. (1940). "A Century of Public Education in Hawaii: October 15, 1840-October 15, 1940". The Hawaii Educational Review: 110–1.
- "History". sacredhearts.org.
- "Key scenes for 'Lost' finale filmed at Honolulu Catholic school". Catholic News Service. June 3, 2010.
- "Elizabeth a class act". Honolulu Star-Advertiser. February 22, 2014.
- "Filming Locations". Wordpress (50undercover). September 22, 2011.
- "Tia Carrere wants to play villain on “Hawaii Five-0”". Honolulu Star-Advertiser. October 15, 2010.
- Kang Sunderland, Susan (2013-08-27). "Promoting A Healthier Hawaii". MidWeek. Retrieved 2014-01-12.
- "Sacred Hearts Benefit Honors Six Of Its Best". MidWeek. October 1, 2014.