||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for music. (August 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Sacrificium at Elements of Rock, Switzerland in 2007
|Labels||Whirlwind Records, Black Lotus Records|
|Past members||Sebastian Wagner
Sacrificium is a death metal band from Stuttgart, Germany, formed in 1993. The band made its breakthrough in the metal scene with its 2002 album Cold Black Piece of Flesh. The second album Escaping the Stupor was released on Black Lotus Records. Their music combines melodic passages with old school death metal, and their lyrics deal with personal experiences and opinions from Christian point of view.
Sacrificium has its roots in a band called Hardway, formed by Sebastian Wagner and Oliver Tesch. Musically, the band was pop rock oriented. That changed in 1991, when the session drummer Markus Hauth took the direction more towards hard rock sound. In 1992, Hardway performed at the reputive Steiger 14 club in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. The band name was changed to Corpus Christi (not to be confused with Corpus Christi from Ohio) in 1993 and they began playing thrash metal. The style developed to death metal, and in 1994, after recording a demo, the name was changed to Sacrificium.
After a few line up changes in 1996, Sacrificium recorded its second demo and in 1998 another demo titled Mortal Fear was released. Although the demos were well-received, the vocalist Roman Wagner left Sacrificium in 2000. After that, the band played concerts with bands such as Extol and My Darkest Hate. The second guitarist, Claudio Enzler, started performing vocals, and the guitarist position was taken by Ulrike Uhlmann.
In 2002 Sacrificium was signed to Whirlwind Records, who published the band's debut Cold Black Piece of Flesh. The album caught the attention of the press, and received positive reviews. For example, Rock Hard gave it 7.5/10 in its February 2004 issue. Afterwards they toured Europe with the band brain [faq].
On November 28, 2005, Sacrificium released its second album Escaping the Stupor on the Greek metal label Black Lotus Records. The album features guest performances by Karl Walfridsson of Pantokrator and Simon Rosén of Crimson Moonlight. Escaping the Stupor was well-received: Rock Hard gave it 7.5/10, Legacy 10/15 and Metalnews.de 6/7.
The band is currently working on new material and is updating its MySpace bulletin with pre-production demo takes and news.
Founding Guitarist Oliver Tesch left the band in 2012, and was replaced by Wolgang Nillies.
Guitarist Matthias Brandt left the band on October 30, 2015 and was then replaced by Daniel Maucher.
- Other releases
- Demo 1993
- Demo 1996
- Mortal Fear demo (1998)
- Studio albums
- Cold Black Piece of Flesh (2002)
- Escaping the Stupor (2005)
- Prey for Your Gods (2013)
- Claudio Enzler – vocals, (2000–present) guitar (1999-2000)
- Wolfgang Nillies - guitar (2012–present)
- Frederik Berger - guitar (2017-present)
- Ulrike Uhlmann - guitar (1993-2012), bass (2017-present)
- Mario Henning – drums (2000–present)
- Oliver Tesch – guitar (1991-2012)
- Sebastian Wagner – vocals, bass guitar (1991-1993)
- Markus Hauth – drums (1991-2000)
- Roman Wagner – vocals (1993-2000)
- Manuel Iwansky – bass guitar (1993-1997)
- Manuel Kerkow - bass guitar (1997)
- Samuel Herbrich - bass guitar (1997-2012)
- Matthias Brandt – guitar (2012-2015)
- Thorsten Brandt – bass guitar (2012–2017)
- Daniel Maucher - guitar (2015–2017)