|Minister of Defence and Veterans Affairs|
2 February 2012 – April 2012
|Prime Minister||Cissé Mariam Kaïdama Sidibé|
|Preceded by||Natie Pleah|
|Succeeded by||Yamoussa Camara|
|Minister of Internal Security and Civilian Protection|
May 2004 – 2012
|Prime Minister||Modibo Sidibé|
|Succeeded by||Tiéfing Konaté|
1954 (age 63–64)|
Gory, Yélimané Cercle, Mali
Officer of the National Order of Mali|
Cross of Valor (Mali)
Commander of the Order of Merit
National Order of Togo
National Order of the Ivory Coast
|Years of service||1975-present|
Chief of Staff of the Army|
Chief of Staff of the Guard
|Battles/wars||2012 Malian coup d'état|
Sadio Gassama is a Brigadier General in the Malian military. Prior to the 2012 Mali coup d'état, he was the Minister of Internal Security and Civilian Protection and he was reappointed to the cabinet in December, remaining such a minister. On 21 March, he attempted to appease the mutinying soldiers at an army base near the capital of Bamako, but failed to win over the troops in his speech, an incident cited by international news sources as sparking the coup.
He was met with boos and stones were thrown at his car. He was then sequestered, at which point his guards riposted by firing warning shots in the air. The minister was released thanks to the intervention of the Kati zone commander ("commandant de zone"). The soldiers then stormed the weapons and ammunition reserves of the camp. Two soldiers were injured, but the presidency said Gassama was neither injured nor arrested. He briefly served as Defense Minister from February to April 2012.
- "Biographie de Sadio Gassama". Malian Government (in French). Government of Mali. 2010-03-18. Retrieved 2012-03-25.
- "Sadio Gassama (Mali)". African Development Information Systems Ltd. AfDevInfo. 2007-08-11. Retrieved 2012-03-25.
- "Biographie de Sadio Gassama" (in French). primature.ml.gov. 18 March 2010. Retrieved 31 March 2012.
- . Mali&Guardian. 3 May 2004 https://mg.co.za/article/2004-05-03-mali-president-announces-new-government. Missing or empty
- Soldiers loot Mali presidency after coup
- "Sortie musclée des militaires de Kati dans la journée d'hier : Une mutinerie aux allures de coup d'Etat". maliweb.net. 22 March 2012. Archived from the original on 23 March 2012. Retrieved 22 March 2012.
- "UN Chief Following Mali Events With 'Deep Concern'". Voice of America. 21 March 2012. Retrieved 26 March 2012.
- "Démenti formel : Le Ministre de la Défense n'est ni blessé ni arrêté. Il est à son bureau où il poursuit calmement sa journée de travail (Formal denial: The Defense Minister is neither injured nor arrested. He is at his office where he continues to work quietly.)". 21 March 2012. Retrieved 22 March 2012.
- "Armée malienne : Sadio Gassama face à une désobéissance militaire" (in French). Maliweb.net. 22 February 2012.
- "Mali instals new defence minister after Tuareg raids". TerraDaily. 2 February 2012.
|This article about a Malian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|