Saeb N. Jaroudi
|Saeb N. Jaroudi|
|Born||Saeb Nadim Jaroudi
November 25, 1929
|Died||September 14, 2014
|Alma mater||Columbia University
|Occupation||Senior Economic Advisor|
|Spouse(s)||Leila Salaam (married 1964)|
Dr. Saeb N. Jaroudi (Arabic: صائب جارودي) was the former Minister of National Economy, Industry, and Tourism in Lebanon and a senior economic consultant advising international public and private institutions on economic policy and project finance. He held a number of leadership roles in the Arab world, Europe, and the United States throughout his career. He also served on several Boards and was a long-standing member of the Board of Directors of Arab Finance Corporation.
He was elected as the first Chairman of the Board and President of the Kuwait-based Arab Fund for Economic and Social Development by the Arab Ministers of Finance. He established the Fund as the regional development bank of the Arab world, initiating and financing major national and inter-country industrial, agriculture, rural development, power, water, education, and healthcare projects. During his tenure, he also initiated the establishment of the Arab Monetary Fund and the Arab Authority for Agricultural Investment and Development.
As minister in Saeb Salam's first cabinet during president Suleiman Frangieh's mandate, Dr. Jaroudi introduced policies that successfully stimulated the development of lesser developed regions of the country, encouraged the flow of foreign direct investment into the country and increased exports through bilateral trade agreements. To promote investment in Lebanon’s industrial sector, he developed and led a pioneering matchmaking program with the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO), which culminated in the signing of 20 new joint venture projects between Lebanese and foreign investors.
His strong United Nations ties began when he joined the UN’s Center for Development Planning in New York as a Senior Economist. During a decade-long UN career, he assisted in the establishment and implementation of several Arab countries’ national development plans. He also assisted the Kuwaiti government in establishing the Kuwait Fund for Arab Economic Development and driving its operations during its early years.
Fresh from completing his Master's degree at the University of California, Berkeley and his PhD Studies at Columbia University, Dr. Jaroudi began his professional experience teaching Economics at the American University of Beirut, where he also participated in the pioneering work of the Economic Research Institute on economic development and business legislation in the Middle East.
In recognition of his contributions to the economic and social advancement of developing countries, Dr. Jaroudi was elected as a member of the United Nations Committee for Development Policy and UNESCO’s International Fund for the Promotion of Culture. He also served as a member of the Board of Trustees of the Arab British Chamber of Commerce Foundation, the British Lebanese Association, and International College in Lebanon. He was also an elected fellow of The Royal Numismatic Society (RNS), a learned society and charity based in London, United Kingdom whose patron as of 2014 was Queen Elizabeth II.
On September 18, 2014, upon the request of the Lebanese Prime Minister Tammam Salam, he was honored by a minute of silence by the Lebanese Council of Ministers at the start of the cabinet meeting.
- "Family-run businesses urged to transform". Gulf News. 6 November 2004.
- "Corporate structure transformation key to regional development, says former Lebanon Minister". AMEinfo.com. 1 November 2004.
- "Global Brands Unite In Support Of Leaders In Dubai". Zawya.com. 11 October 2005.
- World Who's Who
- "Opportunity knocks in the choosing of a new prime minister" Daily Star (Lebanon). 21 October 2004.
- Arab Finance Corporation Directors and Management
- Arab Fund for Economic and Social Development
- John Lawton. "Arab Aid Who Gives it" Saudi Aramco World. Volume 30, Number 6.
- Arab Fund for Economic and Social Development Annual Report 1977
- Doctor Emile Bitar, Lebanon Youth Government
- United Nations Treaty Series, Agreement between the US and Lebanese Governments for sales of Agricultural Commodities
- United Nations Treaty Series, Agreement between the UNDP and the Arab Fund on "Programme for the Identification and Preparation of Feasibility Studies and Investment Projects"
- United Nations Treaty Series, Agreement Revising and Renewing the International Wheat Agreement
- Demir, Soliman; United Nations Institute for Training and Research (1979). Arab development funds in the Middle East. Pergamon Press. p. 43.
- Jaroudi, Saeb N. (1950). The income tax of Lebanon and possible improvements.
- Directory of AUB Faculty Members, Staff Members, and Officers
- Dr. Yusuf Shibl. "On Past Presidents and Football Stratagems: Fifty Years of Memories at AUB". Maingate Magazine. Spring 2007 Vol. V, No. 3.
- Members of the United Nations Committee for Development Policy (1966-2012)
- UNESCO International Fund for the Promotion of Culture Administrative Council, Second Extraordinary Session Report
- The Arab-British Chamber of Commerce Charitable Foundation
- British-Lebanese Association Executive Committee Meeting Minutes. 23 June 2009.
- International College Board of Trustees & Administration
- A History of The Royal Numismatic Society
- ِAnnahar newspaper 18 September 2014