Saeed Ahmad Akhtar
Saeed Ahmad Akhtar was an Urdu poet, playwright and educationist. He came up with his 1st Urdu poetry collection “Diyaar e Shab” in 1976. It was the best selling book of the year and got many awards including the "Abbasin Arts Council Award" for the best book of the year. He published 12 Urdu poetry collections and one English poetry collection so far. All his books sold out like hot cakes. He also wrote many plays and documentaries for Pakistan television and Radio Pakistan.
He was born on March 3, 1933 in Pishin, Pakistan. He did his masters in English Literature from Peshawar University in 1958 and then masters in Urdu Literature from the same University in 1965. After working as a lecturer and professor of English in the provincial Education Department since 1954, he joined the West Pakistan Civil Service in 1968 as Assistant Political Officer. He served in many Districts of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa as Assistant Commissioner, Deputy Commissioner and Additional Commissioner for 22 years, he retired in 1990.
He belonged to Kulachi Khyber Pukhtunkhwa and permanently settled in Dera Ismail Khan, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. Poetry, music and educational social work have been the passion of his life. "Love for all and hatred for none" has been the moving forces of his life. He remained a member of syndicate and selection board of the Gomal University for years. Saeed Ahmad Akhtar has participated in various symposia in Pakistan and abroad.He died on 20th of August 2013.
- Diyaar e Shab (Anthology of Urdu poetry) 1976
- Sath e Aab (Anthology of Urdu poetry) 1978
- Chandni ke Saaye (Anthology of Urdu poetry) 1981
- Khwabgeenay (Anthology of Urdu poetry) 1983
- Le Gai Pawan Uraa (Anthology of Urdu poetry) 1987
- Pata Toota Daal Se (collection of the 1st five books) 1987
- Pooja ke phool (Anthology of Urdu poetry) 2000
- Varshanjali (Anthology of Urdu poetry) 2002
- Songs from the desert (Anthology of English poetry) 2003
- Abb ke bichray kab milain (Anthology of Urdu poetry )2007
- Door paray hain jaa (Anthology of Urdu poetry ) 2009
- Ghonghat ka patt khol ri( Anthology of Urdu poetry ) 2010
- Baichay to bik jaoun(Anthology of Urdu poetry ) 2011
- Flowers from the Temple Anthology of English poetry) being printed
- All writings of Saeed Ahmad Akhtar enjoyed huge popularity especially among young people and have been selling like hot cakes.
- Thousands of his students have greatly appreciated him and are working on several high posts throughout the country.
- Saeed Ahmad Akhtar's works have been approved for M.Phil from Urdu Department, University of Peshawar.
- He has participated in many literary symposia on Radio Pakistan and Pakistan Television PTV where he was highly appreciated.
- Many of his lyrics have been composed and sung.
- Saeed Ahmad Akhtar has written many plays and documentaries for Radio and Television. Radio play "Sikandar e Azam" has been the most famous of them
- List of Urdu Poets
- Urdu poetry
- http://www.zimbio.com/Pakistan/articles/xIUs3-PTu7W/Saeed+Ahmed+Akhtar "Saeed Ahmed Akhtar" by Sheraz Masood at Zimbio.
- http://www.bio-bibliography.com/authors/view/2941 "Pakistan Chronicle" in encyclopedia compiled by Syd Aqeel Abbas Jaafary Saeed Ahmad Akhtar fun aur Shakhisat, an urdu thesis for M.phil by Hussain Mehmood Dawar.
- Pakistan year book. East & West Pub. Co. 1989. p. 216.
The other important books are: Rais Amrohvi's Zameer-e Khama; Saeed Ahmad Akhtar's Patta Toota Dall Se and Mohsin Bhopali's Gard-e Masafat.