|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Safar (Arabic: صَفَر) is the second month in the Islamic calendar. Safar means to be yellow. When the names of the months were being given it was the season of autumn and the leaves of the trees were yellow.
This word means "whistling of the wind". When this name was assigned to this month, it was probably a windy time of the year. Most of the Islamic months were named according to weather conditions at the time. However, since they are based on the moon, the months shift about 11 days every year. So, the seasons do not necessarily correspond to the name of the month anymore.
The Islamic calendar is a lunar calendar, and months begin when the first crescent of a new moon is sighted. Since the Islamic lunar calendar year is 11 to 12 days shorter than the solar year, Safar migrates throughout the seasons. The estimated start and end dates for Safar are as follows (based on the Umm al-Qura calendar of Saudi Arabia):
|AH||First day (CE / AD)||Last day (CE / AD)|
|1437||13 November 2015||11 December 2015|
|1438||1 November 2016||29 November 2016|
|1439||21 October 2017||18 November 2017|
|1440||10 October 2018||8 November 2018|
|1441||30 September 2019||28 October 2019|
|1442||18 September 2020||17 October 2020|
|Safar dates between 2015 and 2020|
- 01 Safar, prisoners of Karbalā entered Yazid's Palace in Syria
- 06 Safar, martyrdom of Sukayna bint Husayn, youngest daughter of Hussain ibn Ali and a prisoner of Karbalā
- 13 Safar, death of Sukayna bint Husayn, youngest daughter of Hussain ibn Ali and a prisoner of Karbalā
- 16 Safar, 609, the Almohads were defeated by Christian Spain at the Battle of Las Navas de Tolosa
- 20 or 21 Safar, Arba'een or Chehlum (the 40th day after Ashura)
- 23 Safar, Birth of Muhammad al-Baqir
- 27 Safar, Migration (Hijrah) from Makkah to Madinah by Muhammad
- 28 Safar, Martyrdom of Imam Hasan ibn ‘Alī, grandson of Muhammad and 5th Caliph of Islam.
- Abu Hurairah said that the Prophet said:
There will be an Ayah (sign) in (the month of) Ramadan. Then, there will 'isabah (splitting into groups) in Shawwal. Then, there will be fighting in (the month of) Dhu al-Qi'dah. Then, the pilgrim will be robbed in (the month of) Dhu al-Hijjah. Then, the prohibitions will be violated in (the month of) al-Muharram. Then, there will be sound in (the month of) Safar, then the tribes will conflict with each other in the two months of Rabi' al-awwal & Rabi' al-thani. Then, the most amazing thing will happen between (the months of) Jumada and Rajab. Then, a well-fed she-camel will be better than a fortress (castle) sheltering a thousand (people).
- Islamic-Western Calendar Converter (Based on the Arithmetical or Tabular Calendar)
- Islamic Prayer Times for Makkah