|Developer(s)||Safer Social Ltd.|
|Initial release||March 2013|
4.9 / 1 December 2017
|Operating system||Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Linux, Google Chrome extension, Mozilla add on|
|Available in||English, German, French, Russian, Arabic, Persian, Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish and Turkish|
|Alexa rank||33,096 (Global, April 2018[update])|
SaferVPN is a Virtual Private Network utility developed by Safer Social, Ltd. The network protects user data from Wi-Fi security risks through end-to-end encryption of user connections. SaferVPN has provided free accounts to dissidents in Turkey, Iran, and Bangladesh.
SaferVPN was released in 2013 by cybersecurity software developers, including founders Amit Bareket and Sagi Gidali. SaferVPN’s parent company began raising capital after creating and patenting a system created to aid law enforcement in identifying and catching car thieves. In the Microsoft Imagine Cup competition the first application cofounders Amit Bareket and Sagi Gidali assembled together made second place.
In March 2014 when Turkey attempted to block Twitter, SaferVPN launched the #UnblockTheWeb initiative to give individuals blocked by government censorship free access to a VPN. In August, 2016, Unblock the Web provided a free VPN account to a coalition of Bangladeshi bloggers allowing them to communicate. In 2016, Apple approved SaferVPN to implement automatic Wi-Fi Security. Its patented technology alerts users when they connect to an unsecured Wi-Fi network even if their device is locked, preventing harmful data leaks.
- OpenVPN, the commonly used protocol due to its performance and security level.
- Point-To-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP), a commonly used VPN protocol that uses basic encryption giving users fast connection speeds.
- Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP/IPSec), secure but slower than other protocols. L2TP is a good option if OpenVPN or IKEv2 aren’t available. Unlike PPTP, L2TP/IPSec requires a shared key or the use of certificates.
- IKEv2, the newest protocol available. Fastest of all protocols, it is secure and stable but not supported on all platforms.
- "SaferVPN: This newcomer is off to a good start". PCWorld. Retrieved 15 January 2018.
- "Protect Your Business! The 7 Cybersecurity Tools You Need as an Entrepreneur". Entrepreneur. Retrieved 15 January 2018.
- Vilner, Yoav. "16 Israeli Startups Ready To Take On 2016". Forbes. Retrieved 2017-10-04.
- "Iran Tightens Its Grasp on Telegram Use". Huffington Post. Retrieved 24 January 2018.
- Onibalusi, Segun (2017-07-21). "How to Choose a VPN Provider for Your Business". Entrepreneur. Retrieved 2017-10-04.
- "Israeli VPN startup SaferVPN raises $1 million for business services". Tech.eu. Retrieved 2017-10-04.
- "SaferVPN Raises $1M Venture Funding To Provide Businesses With Scalable, Cloud-Based VPN Applications And A Customizable Cloud Management Portal - Tech Company News". Tech Company News. 2017-09-22. Retrieved 2017-10-04.
- Liacas, Tom (2015-05-08). "Why Google and other tech giants are creating tools for political dissidents". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2017-10-04.
- "Blogging for a Change: A Blogger's Journey to Advocate for His People and His Culture Through Blogging Activism". Huffington Post. Retrieved 24 January 2018.
- "SaferVPN's launches Automatic Wi-Fi solution for mobile". Geektime. 2016-09-09. Retrieved 2017-10-04.
- "Seriously?! Can You Not Do That? Chapter IV - Insecure Use of Public Wi-Fi". ITSPmagazine | Cybersecurity & Infosec News. Retrieved 2017-10-04.
- Movements.org (2016-09-08). "Why We All Need Wi-Fi Security". Huffington Post. Retrieved 2017-10-04.
- Musthaler, Linda. "SaferVPN says it takes the risk out of using public Wi-Fi connections". Network World. Retrieved 2017-10-04.