The tournament was previously known as the Safeway Championship (2008–2015), Safeway Select (1995–2007); the Labatt Tankard (1980–1994); the British Consols (1937–1979) and the Macdonald Brier Trophy event winner at the MCA Bonspiel (1925-1936).
32 teams qualify. The distribution of berths changes from year to year but is generally composed of the following:
- Winners of Regional Zone Playdowns
- Winners of a "Berth Bonspiel"
- Brandon Men's Bonspiel winner
- Defending champion
- Manitoba Curling Tour champion
- Top team(s) from the Manitoba Curling Tour Rankings
- Top Manitoba team(s) on the CTRS rankings
- Top teams from the Manitoba Curling Association Bonspiel
Listed below are the provincial champion skips for each year. Manitoba did not participate in the 1927 Brier. Brier champions in bold.