|Industry||Scaffolding, Shoring and Insulation|
|Bill Hayes (President & CEO)|
Number of employees
Safway Services, LLC provides scaffolding in the U.S. and Canada for the commercial construction, bridge, special events and industrial markets (including offshore, petrochemical and power). The company also offers rental, assembly, disassembly, training, labor and project management services. With 85 locations, Safway is headquartered in Waukesha, WI, employs 4,000 people and is one of the largest industrial services companies in North America.
Safway was founded in 1936 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin by Reinhold Uecker. Uecker was a mason who established his own business in 1918 and was responsible for the construction of many upscale homes and churches in the Milwaukee area. In 1936, Uecker fell through wooden scaffolding while working on a church steeple. The accident prompted him to design a safer and more durable scaffolding system made from steel. It was the first of its kind.
Beginning in 1937, Uecker filed a number of patents with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and renamed the company from Uecker Equipment Company to Safway Steel Scaffolds of Wisconsin. As Uecker’s product became popular with area contractors, the company changed its name to Safway Steel Scaffolds Supply Corporation in 1941 and acquired distributorships in Milwaukee, Los Angeles, Chicago, Minneapolis, Richmond, Dallas, Baltimore, Washington D.C., St. Louis, Oakland, San Francisco and Seattle over the next 20 years. By 1960, Safway products were being rented and sold through branch and distributor locations in every state in the country.
From its inception and through the 1980s, Safway focused on providing scaffolding and services in the continental United States. In the early 1990s, Safway began to expand into Mexico.
In 2002, Safway entered the Canadian market by establishing Safway Services, Inc, headquartered in Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta, Canada. Safway currently has nine branch operations in Canada, including Halifax, Saint John, Hamilton, St. John’s, Sarnia, Toronto, Edmonton, Fort McMurray and Vancouver.
In November 2011, Safway signed an agreement with Mecan, a large producer and renter of scaffolding in Brazil, to manufacture and distribute QuikDeck® in Brazil and other parts of South America. Mecan is one of ten companies in the Grupo Orguel Corporation that services commercial and industrial markets and is involved in manufacturing, distribution, rental and installation of scaffold.
On November 14, 2011, Safway acquired Waco Scaffolding & Equipment, a provider of scaffolding and access equipment and services, in an auction held on November 10, 2011, as a part of Waco’s bankruptcy proceedings.
Focus on safety
- "Safway: Access Granted". Retrieved 23 April 2012.
- "Germany & USA. ThyssenKrupp sells Safway to Odyssey Investment Partners". BYM Marine & Maritime News Marine & Maritime News. Retrieved 23 April 2012.
- Men of Milwaukee. Milwaukee, WI: Associated Compilers. 1930. p. 267.
- "From the Ground…Up, Up, Up – A Look at Scaffolding and its Many Forms". Masonry, March 2001. Retrieved 24 April 2012.
- Uecker, Reinhold. "Patents no. 2.305.563; 2.295.311; 2.262.433; 2.261.907; 2.203.114; 2.203.113; 2.195.906; 2.191.051; 2.126.844; 2.125.830; 2.125.829; 2.043.498". U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Retrieved 24 April 2012.
- "Safway Services Company Fact Sheet" (PDF). Safway Services. Retrieved 24 April 2012.
- "Safway Services Canada, Inc. - Complete Profile". Industry Canada. Retrieved 24 April 2012.
- "Safway acquires NYC-area hoisting services firm". The Business Journal. May 12, 2011. Retrieved January 13, 2012.
- "Safway Services,LLC Acquires Atlantic Hoisting and Scaffolding LLC". Safway Services, May 12, 2011. Retrieved 24 April 2012.
- "Safway Services Announces Agreement with Brazilian Access Company". Mason Contractors Association of America, December 2011. Retrieved 24 April 2012.
- "Safway Acquires Waco Scaffolding". PaintSquare, November 15, 2011. Retrieved 24 April 2012. In August 2015, Safway acquired Mobley Industrial Services, Inc., a provider specializing in; coatings & linings, abrasive blasting, insulation, scaffolding, asbestos & lead abatement and more.
- Eric, Slack. "Safway Services: Safety First". Energy Today. Retrieved 24 April 2012.
- "Celebrating America's Safest Companies 2010". EHS Today. Retrieved 23 April 2012.
- Laura, Walter. "Safway Services Invests in Safety". EHS Today. Retrieved 23 April 2012.