Sage Kotsenburg at the 2014 Winter Olympics
|Birth name||Sage Cullen Kotsenburg|
July 27, 1993 |
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, U.S.
|Residence||Park City, Utah |
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m) (2014)|
|Weight||165 lb (75 kg) (2014)|
|Achievements and titles|
Sage Kotsenburg (born July 27, 1993) is an American snowboarder. He won the first ever Olympic gold medal in men's snowboard slopestyle at the 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Sochi, Russia, and became the first gold medalist at these Olympics. Kotsenburg won a silver medal in snowboard slopestyle at the 2012. Winter X Games XVI in Aspen, Colorado, behind Mark McMorris. Kotsenburg won a bronze medal in Snowboard Big Air at the 2011 Winter X Games XV in Aspen, Colorado, behind Torstein Horgmo and Sebastien Toutant.
Kotsenburg was born in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho but grew up in Park City, Utah. His parents are Carol Ann and Steve Kotsenburg. His father is a real estate agent. He has two older brothers, and a younger sister. Sage started snowboarding at the age of five with older brother, Blaze. The three younger siblings snowboard together. Their mother acts as Sage’s travel agent.
Kotsenburg made his US Open debut at the age of 12. At age 16, he won the slopestyle silver at the European X Games 2010.
He landed the first-ever Cab double cork 1440 at Air & Style in Innsbruck in February 2011, took third at the 2011 Arctic Challenge, and was named to the U.S. Snowboarding Slopestyle Pro Team in December 2011.
He won the Winter X Games XVI Slopestyle silver in 2012.
Kotsenburg won slopestyle gold at the 2014 Sochi Olympics, nailing one trick he had never tried before and performing an original grab of his board he invented himself, called the "Holy Crail". He was the first gold medalist of the Olympic Games as well as the first medal for the United States.
During the summer, Kotsenburg trains on Mt. Hood at High Cascade Snowboard Camp. For summer 2014, Kotsenburg and his Lick the Cat crew have been awarded a Signature Session.
- Watkins, Jen (February 9, 2010). "Dewd, the trophy's yours". ParkRecord.com. Retrieved February 21, 2014.
- "Sage Kotsenburg Profile – Bio". ESPN.com. January 28, 2011. Retrieved March 23, 2013.
- "Sage Kotsenburg". Sochi2014.com. February 8, 2014. Retrieved February 8, 2014.
- "Snowboard Slopestyle Results". ESPN.com. January 28, 2012. Retrieved February 2, 2014.
- "Snowboard Big Air Results". ESPN.com. January 28, 2011. Retrieved January 30, 2011.
- "Sage Kotsenburg full bio". Retrieved February 8, 2014.
- Homeschooling Latest News - Homeschool Snowboarder Wins First Gold Medal at 2014 Olympic Games
- "Park City's Kotsenburg uses a new trick to take 1st gold". Associated Press. February 8, 2014. Retrieved February 8, 2014.
- Signature Sessions, 2014 High Cascade Snowboard Camp
- Sage Kotsenburg at the United States Olympic Committee
- US Snowboarding Profile
- Sochi Olympics profile
- Sage Kotsenburg on Facebook
- Sage Kotsenburg on Twitter