Heritage High School (Saginaw, Michigan)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Heritage High School|
|3465 N. Center Road
Saginaw Township, Michigan, Saginaw County 48603
|School type||Public, High school|
|School district||Saginaw Township Community Schools|
|NCES School ID||263045006701|
|Athletic Director||Pete Ryan|
|Teaching staff||76.29 (2012–13)|
|Grades||9 to 12|
|Number of students||1,565 (2012–13)|
|Student to teacher ratio||20.51 (2012–13)|
|Athletics conference||Saginaw Valley League|
|Accreditation||North Central Association|
|Average ACT scores||26|
|Class/Div||Class A/Division 1|
|Website||Heritage High School Website|
Heritage High School is the primary high school in the Saginaw Township Community Schools district. Heritage is located on North Center Road in Saginaw Charter Township, Michigan and is recognized as an International Baccalaureate World School.
- 1 History
- 2 Academics
- 3 Demographics
- 4 Athletics
- 5 Notable alumni
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Heritage was the product of a merger between Douglas MacArthur High School (which now houses White Pine Middle School) and Dwight D. Eisenhower High School (which now houses Heritage) in 1988, after Eisenhower High School was severely damaged in a 1987 arson. Selecting one color from each of its parent schools, Heritage's official colors are Navy Blue and Kelly Green. Its nickname is "Hawks."
Heritage also has an Academic Quiz Bowl team where students compete in local tournaments and then advance onto state tournaments. Heritage also participates in the local Science Olympiad.
Heritage High Schoo's demographic profile from the 2012–13 school year:
|777 (49.6%)||788 (50.4%)|
|Enrollment||(% of total)|
|Total Minority||451 (28.8%)|
|American Indian/Alaskan Native||4 (0.3%)|
|Asian/Pacific Islander||64 (4.1%)|
|Two or More Races||29 (1.9%)|
Heritage's football team competes in the Saginaw Valley League, going 9–0 in regular season play in 2006–2007. Heritage plays its home games at Larsen Field named in honor of former principal Allan Larsen.
The school's athletic teams include football, marching band/winterguard and percussion, cross-country, soccer, golf, basketball, pompon, swimming, tennis, cheerleading, hockey, skiing, wrestling, bowling, volleyball, baseball, softball, tennis, track, and lacrosse.
The men's varsity cross country team "Five-peated" as Saginaw Valley League and Saginaw County Champions. They were Regional champions through the 2007–2009 seasons, losing to grand Blanc in 2010 and taking back the title in 2011. The team placed 7th at the state meet in Division 1 competition in 2007, was the state runner up in 2008, placed 6th in 2009, placed 8th in 2010, and placed 8th in 2011.
The Hawks have won state championships in men's track, women's soccer, women's basketball, and pom pon. In 2002–03, Heritage was honored as an "Exemplary Athletic Program" by the Michigan Interscholastic Athletic Administrators' Association.
The boys soccer team reached the State Class A Finals in 1991, playing to a 2 – 1 overtime loss to Class A Livonia Stevenson.
The men's swim team of 1988–1989 was the first team to have a perfect season. The "Aqua-Hawks" won their first, and only, Saginaw Valley League Championship in 2002.
Heritage High School Championships
- Varsity High Kick Champions – 2013
- Class A State Champions – 2014, 2005, 2003, 2002, 1997, 1989
Boys Cross Country
Boys Track and Field
Heritage students also produce four other annual shows: Mock Rock, the Culture Show, Mr Heritage, and the talent show. There is also Spring Fever day in the spring.
Mock Rock usually consists of about half a dozen acts, each of which parodies songs, television shows, or other aspects of popular culture. At the end of the event, the audience votes for the winning act by acclamation.
Mock Rock Winners:
- 2011 Glee parody group, Glum. People's choice and third-place winners were Boys Against the World.
- 2012 Bruno Mars Medley titled "Bruno Scars".
- 2014 Pitch Perfect themed skit, titled "Pitch Imperfect". People's choice winners were a group of senior boys called the "Couch Potatoes" (being that their mascot was Mr. Potato Head)
- 2015 The Other Direction Rendition of several different boy band songs. The Other Direction also won the People's Choice award.
The Culture Show comprises mostly musical acts selected and produced by the Heritage Multicultural Club. After the acts have concluded, the audience is invited to the Student Center to engage in a buffet of exotic foods.The first annual culture show took place in 1999.
Mr Heritage is HHS's male beauty pageant. Participants engage in a wide variety of activities, including a talent portion, dancing, and an interview. They are systematically eliminated by a group of staff judges until a winner is crowned "Mr Heritage" for that year.
The talent show is generally a more serious event than the other annual shows, offering an opportunity for Heritage's student body to showcase its abilities to the community.
- Stuart Schweigert, National Football League: Detroit Lions, Oakland Raiders
- Andrew Crechiolo, American Olympic Decathlete (2000 Summer Olympics)
- Christin Trogan, Film and television producer. Notable: Funny or Die, National Football League broadcasting
- Don Barris, Audience warm-up comedian (Jimmy Kimmel Live!)
- Mickey Singh, Singer
- Billy Cook, author
- Chris Baldwin, gained fame as a University of Michigan student for televised "Surrender Cobra" pose after the 2015 Michigan State vs Michigan football game
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Heritage High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved March 23, 2015.
- "Heritage High School in Saginaw, MI – Best High Schools – US News". usnews.com.
- "Heritage High School". K-12 School Rankings and Reviews at Niche.com. February 25, 2015.
- "2009 Team Wrestling Regionals". mhsaa.com. Retrieved March 27, 2015.
- "2010 Team Districts". mhsaa.com. Retrieved March 27, 2015.
- "Heritage wrestling claims first Saginaw Valley League title in program history". mlive.com. Retrieved March 27, 2015.
- "2004 MHSAA Ice Hockey Division 2 Semifinal Compuware Arena, Plymouth March 11, 2004". mhsaa.com. Retrieved March 27, 2015.
- "2009 MHSAA Ice Hockey Division 2 Semifinal Compuware Sports Arena, Plymouth March 12". mhsaa.com. Retrieved March 27, 2015.
- "Boys Soccer Yearly Champions". mhsaa.com. Retrieved March 27, 2015.
- "Heritage HS". MHSAA.
- "Boys Cross Country Yearly Champions". mhsaa.com. Retrieved March 27, 2015.
- "Boys Bowling Team Champions". mhsaa.com. Retrieved March 27, 2015.
- "Boys Track and Field Team Champions". mhsaa.com. Retrieved March 27, 2015.
- "Girls Basketball Yearly Champions". mhsaa.com. Retrieved March 27, 2015.
- "Girls Soccer Yearly Champions". mhsaa.com. Retrieved March 27, 2015.
- "Christin Trogan – Producer – Filmography (IMDb)". Internet Movie Database.
- "Michigan, MSU fans show their agony, ecstasy to nation". mlive.