Saginaw High School
|Saginaw High School|
|3100 Webber St.
Saginaw, Saginaw County, Michigan 48601
|School district||Saginaw Public Schools|
|Superintendent||Nathienal McClain, Ph.D.|
|NCES School ID||263039006677|
|Athletic Director||Jeannine Coughlin|
|Teaching staff||39.40 (2012-13)|
|Student to teacher ratio||15.05 (2012-13)|
|Color(s)||Black & Gold|
|Athletics conference||Saginaw Valley League,
|Rival||Arthur Hill High School|
|Accreditation||North Central Association|
|Average ACT scores||16|
|Class/Div||Class A/Division 1|
The school's mission statement is "Saginaw High is committed to ensuring a safe and academic environment where the students will become academically proficient, life long learners, and productive citizens."
The school was established in 1865 as East Side High School. Alice Freeman Palmer, who later became President of Wellesley College, was principal of the school from 1877 to 1879. In early 2014, there was some debate about closing the school. Many people disliked the idea and instead offered an 8th through 12th grade starting fall of 2014.
Saginaw High School Profile (2013–14)
Saginaw won the Michigan Division 2 football state championship in 1999. The program has endured rough times lately. The program has produced NFL players such as Terry McDaniel, LaMarr Woodley, Charles Rogers, Roy Manning, and Charleston Hughes.
Saginaw High has won multiple state championships in basketball. Their most recent state championship victory came in 2012 with a 54-42 win over the Rockford Rams capping a 26-2 season lead by Travontis Richardson and Kevin Marshall Jr. In 2007, Saginaw Trojans defeated the Detroit Redford Huskies to claim the Class A state championship, the first of back to back state championship teams led by current NBA player, Draymond Green. The Trojans then repeated in 2008, beating the Detroit Pershing Doughboys, to capture another Class A state championship title. Saginaw has also won championships in 1942, 1962, and 1996. It has been a hot recruiting ground for major colleges.
Saginaw High School Championships
- Bob Buhl, former MLB player (Milwaukee Braves, Chicago Cubs, Philadelphia Phillies)
- Draymond Green, NBA player for the Golden State Warriors
- Darvin Ham, played for the Detroit Pistons.
- Charleston Hughes, CFL player for the Calgary Stampeders.
- Roy Manning, former NFL player and current outside linebackers coach at Washington State University
- Terry McDaniel, former Tennessee and NFL football player
- Stacy Erwin Oakes, current State Representative, Michigan House of Representatives, 95th District.
- Calvin O'Neal, former Michigan and NFL football player.
- Anthony Roberson, former NBA player, currently plays for Chinese team, Fujian Xunxing.
- Charles Rogers, former NFL wide receiver.
- Tom Slade, former Michigan football player
- LaMarr Woodley, current NFL player for Arizona Cardinals.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Saginaw High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved March 27, 2015.
- "Saginaw High School in Saginaw, Mi - Best High Schools - US News". usnews.com.
- "Education Outcomes". Niche. Retrieved March 24, 2015.
- Morey, Roberta (2004). Saginaw in Vintage Postcards. Arcadia Publishing. p. 68. ISBN 978-0-7385-3293-6.
- Ruth Birgitta Anderson Bordin (1993). Alice Freeman Palmer: The Evolution of a New Woman. University of Michigan Press. p. 74. ISBN 0-472-10392-X.
- "AdvancED - Institution Summary". advanc-ed.org.
- "ANNETTE BABERS". Saginaw County Sport Hall of Fame. Retrieved March 24, 2015.
- "Football Yearly Champions". mhsaa.com. Retrieved March 24, 2015.
- "Boys Basketball Yearly Champions". mhsaa.com. Retrieved March 24, 2015.
- "Boys Track and Field Team Team Champions". mhsaa.com. Retrieved March 24, 2015.
- "Girls Basketball Yearly Champions". mhsaa.com. Retrieved March 24, 2015.