Saguiaran, Lanao del Sur
Map of Lanao del Sur with Saguiaran highlighted
|Region||Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM)|
|Province||Lanao del Sur|
|• Mayor||Macmod R. Muti|
|• Total||51.35 km2 (19.83 sq mi)|
|Elevation||630 m (2,070 ft)|
|Population (2015 census)|
|• Density||480/km2 (1,200/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)63|
|Income class||4th municipal income class|
|Electorate||18,608 voters as of 2016|
Saguiaran is politically subdivided into 30 barangays.
- Basak Maito
- Pantao Raya
|Population census of Saguiaran|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
Almost all people residing in Saguiaran are Maranao with only minority from other tribes usually Maguindanaon, Bisaya and Subanon who are working as house-help and other available jobs. Some people of Saguiaran particularly those from the Barangays along the national highway such as Brgy Batangan, Poblacion and Mipaga, trace their roots from the Royal Sultanate of Marawi or the Buadi Sacayo.
Saguiaran is considered the gateway to Lanao del Sur when one is coming from Northern Mindanao. It is home to NPC Agus II Hydro Power Plant. It host the widely known MSU-Saguiaran Community High School where the first Maranao Summa Cum Laude graduate of the Mindanao State University completed his secondary education. Saguiaran is relatively peaceful as compared to nearby towns within Lanao. One would know if he is entering town of Saguiaran once he is crossing the Pantar Bridge, an American–built steel–truss bridge more than five decades ago and this is now being renovated, and seeing the Provincial Welcome Arch with visible Islamic influence. This indicates that one is entering a Muslim majority province and only about 7 kilometers away from the lone Islamic City in the country. One needs to traverse the town of Saguiaran to reach the only city in Lanao del Sur, Marawi City. Originally, selective people of Saguiaran trace their lineage to Buadi e Sacayo from Marawi City and his descendants are the only allowed to wear the throne as Sultan of Marawi along with Buad e Sacayo from Marawi. Thus people of Saguiaran and Marawi are inter-related.
Saguiaran boasts its town of having one of the best Municipal offices in the province. Also, it is where the Pantaw Raya is located which is considered a National treasure. Traversing Saguiaran would mean that one has to pass by the Barangays of Pawak, Batangan, Limogao, Poblacion and Bubong. This has a total distance of nearly 5 kilometers with good paved national roads. Mosque's minarets are too visible along the highway. This shows how devoted the people to their religion, Islam.
The main form of livelihood here is agriculture however the town is widely known as the home to the best Browa, a Maranao sweets, in Lanao. One must stop by at the Tata's Store across the Municipal Hall along the highway to have a taste of this delicacy. This along with most popular Palapa, a Maranao spicy appetizer, are best for 'Balikbayan pasalubong'.
Also, don't leave the town without tasting these Maranao dishes such as Piyaparan-a-Bakas, Beef Randang, Sasawawan a Badak and Inaluban a Tilapiya. These are mouth watering dishes of Maranaw and these are freshly (fresh from 'Koden') served at nearby Maranaw resto in Marawi City.
One can reach Saguiaran either via road transport from Iligan City via Jeep or PUV going to Marawi City.
Pantuwaraya Lake National Park is a 20 hectares (49 acres) park comprising Lake Pantao Raya and surrounding area. It was declared a national park in 1965.
Tourists can visit the Basak Lake located at Barangay Maito Basak. Another tourists attraction here is the Buwalan Mosque, considered the oldest Mosque in Saguiaran, is situated above tiny hills where in nearby spring provides potable water to people of Saguiaran and nearby Marawi City. This spring has many outlets but the notable one is the one being used by the public as water supply.
Tourists may buy special Browa, a Maranao delicacy, at Tata Bakeshoppe along the National Highway fronting the Municipal Hall. The taste has made this Browa special than other Browa made from Marawi City. The Provincial welcome arch is located at Saguiaran, this arch is notable for its Islamic influence which makes it fascinating.
Pantar Bridge is also an attraction since it is a half-century-old American-built trussed bridge. The other one being the already collapsed American built trussed bridge in Banggulo, Marawi City. Now, the bridge is under renovation. From the bridge, you can view the water reservoir of National Power Corporation and the Welcome Arch of the province of Lanao del Sur.
Education and Schools
There are public and private schools in Saguiaran. But the notable one are the following:
- Mindanao State University - Saguiaran Community High school, is considered the best Mindanao State University External Units High School and is one of the most reputable public high schools in Lanao del Sur.
- Saguiaran National High School
- M & S Maito Basak National High School
- Sampal Memorial National High School
- Saguiaran Central Elementary School
- Bubong Elementary School
- Batangan Elementary School
- Philippine Integrated School – Saguiaran Branch
- Al-Malik Child Learning Center
- "Official City/Municipal 2013 Election Results". Intramuros, Manila, Philippines: Commission on Elections (COMELEC). 1 July 2013. Retrieved 5 September 2013.
- Census of Population (2015). "ARMM - Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- Census of Population and Housing (2010). "ARMM - Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- Census of Population (1995, 2000 and 2007). "ARMM - Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao". Total Population by Province, City and Municipality. NSO. Archived from the original on 11 November 2011.
- "Province of Lanao del Sur". Municipality Population Data. Local Water Utilities Administration Research Division. Retrieved 17 December 2016.
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Census Information
- Local Governance Performance Management System
||Pantar, Lanao del Norte||Kapai|