Sahara International Film Festival
This article needs to be updated.May 2019)(
|Location||Wilaya of Dakhla, Sahrawi refugee camps, Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic / Algeria|
The Sahara International Film Festival, also known as FiSahara, is an annual event which takes place in the Sahrawi refugee camps, at the southwest corner of Algeria, near the border with Western Sahara. It is the only film festival in the world held in a refugee camp. The first festival was in large part organised by Peruvian film director Javier Corcuera.
For its first three years, FiSahara was held alternately in the Wilaya of Smara, the Wilaya of Ausserd, and the Wilaya of El Aaiun. Since 2007, the festival has been staged in the Wilaya of Dakhla. The event is backed by the Polisario Front, but largely organised and funded by donors from Spain, the former colonial power in Western Sahara. The festival has attracted support from Spanish film celebrities, including Penélope Cruz, Javier Bardem, and Pedro Almodóvar. Musicians like Fermín Muguruza, Manu Chao, Macaco, Iván Ferreiro, El Chojin and Tomasito have performed in concerts during the festival.
FiSahara is billed as an initiative to bring film as an entertainment and cultural form to the thousands of Sahrawis who live in the Algerian desert. It also aims to provide cultural entertainment and educational opportunities to the refugees.
White Camel Winners
The White Camel (Arabic: الجمل الأبيض) is the festival's top prize, awarded for the best film by election of the spectators. It consists of a white female camel, which is traditionally donated to the refugee family who hosted the actors or director of the winning film during the festival. The winners receive a trophy depicting a white camel and a desert rose.
|2003||20–23 November||The Living Forest||Spain||Ángel de la Cruz|
|2004||December (Not Held)||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|2005||3–6 March||Madame Brouette|| Senegal
|Moussa Sene Absa|
|2006||5–9 April||The Story of the Weeping Camel|| Mongolia
|2007||10–15 April||Azur & Asmar: The Princes' Quest|| France
|2008||17–20 April||It's a Free World...||United Kingdom||Ken Loach|
|2009||5–10 May||Che: Part 2|| United States
|2010||26 April-2 May||The Problem||Spain||Jordi Ferrer|
|2011||2–8 May||Entrelobos|| Spain
|2012||1–6 May||Sons of the Clouds: The Last Colony||Spain||Alvaro Longoria|
|2013||8–13 October||Mayibuye I||South Africa||Milly Moabl|
|2014||29 April–4 May||Legna: Habla el Verso Saharaui|| Sahrawi Republic
|Juan Carlos Gimeno|
|2015||28 April-3 May||Granito: How to Nail a Dictator||United States||Pamela Yates|
In some years, the festival has chosen a country to be a guest in the event. In such cases, films from the guest country are screened, and related events take place along with the other acts in the festival.
- Objective FiSahara Donostia.org – 24-page book about the FiSahara, with texts by Juan Carlos Izagirre, Eduardo Galeano, Paul Laverty, Javier Corcuera, Javier Bardem and others.
- Sáhara Occidental: La Revolución del Cine o el Cine de la Revolución by David Bollero Real (in Spanish)
- Prospect Magazine – Blogs Preview of 6th FISahara
- Comienza 'Fisahara 2008', el único festival de cine en un campo de refugiados El Mundo, 18 April 2008 (in Spanish)
- Roape Article
- Holly Meadows (11 April 2012). "FiSahara: The World's Most Remote Film Festival". Africa Geographic. Archived from the original on 30 April 2013. Retrieved 17 December 2012.
- Me gusta el Sáhara, me gustas tú Archived 2013-10-12 at the Wayback Machine Cine entre las dunas – El País, 23 April 2008 (in Spanish)
- Festival Internacional de Cine del Sahara (FiSahara) 2009 Radiochango.com (in Spanish)
- Macaco actuará en la clausura del VI Festival Internacional de Cine Del Sahara (FiSAHARA) Archived 2013-07-04 at the Wayback Machine Macaco.es, 7 May 2009 (in Spanish)
- Ivan Ferreiro corona el desierto El Mundo, 3 May 2010 (in Spanish)
- El Chojin en FISAHARA 2011 Elchojin.net, 12 April 2011 (in Spanish)
- El Canijo de Jerez y Tomasito en el Festival de Cine del Sahara Inzona.es, 1 May 2012 (in Spanish)
- Objective Fisahara: Twinning between the San Sebastian Human Rights Film Festival and the Sahara International Film Festival, seen in pictures and first-hand accounts Archived 2013-10-11 at Archive.today Donostia.org
- Additional festival events Festivalsahara.com
- ""Legna" film wins first award of FiSahara". Sahara Press Service. 4 May 2014. Archived from the original on 17 May 2014. Retrieved 16 May 2014.
- Cuba: país invitado en el III Festival Internacional de Cine del Sahara Somosjovenes.cu (in Spanish)
- Cuba será el país invitado en el III Festival Internacional de Cine del Sahara Rebelion.org, 13 March 2006 (in Spanish)
- Arranca FiSahara 09 FiSahara.blogspot.com.es, 23 March 2009 (in Spanish)
- FISAHARA 09 Archived 2014-03-27 at the Wayback Machine Vivir bien es un placer!!! (¡Hola!), 21 April 2009 (in Spanish)
- El FCAT con el pueblo saharaui en el FiSahara 2010 Archived 2012-07-08 at the Wayback Machine African Film Festival of Tarifa (in Spanish)
- FiSahara, el festival de cine que se celebra en un campamento de refugiados 20 minutos, 12 April 2010 (in Spanish)
- Concluye el FiSahara 2011: entre el cine y la reivindicación Archived 2014-04-13 at the Wayback Machine Radio Netherlands Worldwide, 9 May 2011 (in Spanish)
- FiSahara: cine bajo las estrellas ABC, 4 May 2011 (in Spanish)
- "No conseguirán atemorizar al FiSahara" Público (EFE), 2 May 2012 (in Spanish)
- La delegación de México en el FiSahara afirma su determinación de romper el silencio informativo en el Sáhara Occidental Archived 2014-04-13 at the Wayback Machine Sahara Press Service, 3 May 2012 (in Spanish)
- Decade after: FiSahara achieved international status, confirms Saharawi Culture Minister Archived 2014-04-13 at the Wayback Machine Sahara Press Service, 10 July 2013
- South Africa guest of honor of FiSahara 2014 and Nelson Mandela honored in the occasion SADR Permanent Mission in Ethiopia and African Union, 9 April 2014