Sahara Press Service
|Not-for-profit news agency|
|Founded||29 March 1999|
|Headquarters||Shaheed El Hafed Refugee Camp, Tindouf, Algeria|
Number of employees
|Website||English, عربي, Español, Français, русский|
Sahara Press Service (SPS) is the multi-lingual official press agency of the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic, the government in exile of the Western Sahara. The agency mainly report government-related news and current Sahrawi affairs, both from the liberated territories, the occupied territories and the Sahrawi refugee camps in Tindouf, Algeria.
The Polisario Front recognised the importance of press at an early stage. They took journalists to occupied territories and established the Sahara Press Service at the Sahrawi refugee camps on 29 March 1999 (A POLISARIO agency press had been founded previously in 1980). The Sahara Press Service Dispatches began to be posted on the internet since April 1999, due to the combined efforts of the Friends of Sahrawi People in Switzerland and Spain. Among the founders of SPS was the journalist and then SADR Minister of Information Mohamed Fadel Ismail Ould Es-Sweyih. Its current director and editor in chief is Saleh Nafee. The Sahara Press Service also releases the El Karama monthly magazine which reports on human rights violations in the region.
Reports were published only in French until 2001, when the SPS website was opened. On March 2001, news started to be published also in Spanish. On April 20, 2003, the news were also published in English on the website. In 2005, SPS added Arabic to the language options of their site. On September 2010, SPS started releasing a weekly news resume bulletin in PDF format. On 1 July 2012 news started to be published in Russian as well.
- "15th Anniversary of Sahara Press Service (SPS): "Reinforcing message of credibility, responsibility, professionalism" to confront fallacies of occupation". SPS. 27 March 2014. Retrieved 27 March 2014.
- "SPS celebrates its 10th anniversary". Sahara Press Service. 29 March 2009. Retrieved 12 May 2011.
- "President of Republic appoints new director for Sahara Press Service". SPS. 25 September 2014. Retrieved 27 September 2014.
- Besenyő János Western Sahara, p. 170, at Google Books
- "SPS About". SPS. 27 November 2016. Retrieved 27 November 2016.
- "Imminent launch of new look of SPS website". SPS. 10 May 2011. Retrieved 12 May 2011.
- Президент САДР приглашен посетить Танзанию. SPS (in Russian). 1 July 2012. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "President of Republic supervises inauguration of SPS new headquarters". SPS. 25 January 2012. Retrieved 28 January 2012.