Sahib ibn Abbad
|Sahib ibn Abbad|
|Grand Vizier of the Buyid emirate of Ray|
|Preceded by||Abu'l-Fath Ali ibn Muhammad|
14 September 938|
Talaqancha, near Isfahan
30 March 995|
|Father||Abu'l-Hasan Abbad ibn Abbas|
Abu’l-Qāsim Ismāʿīl ibn ʿAbbād ibn al-ʿAbbās (Persian: ابوالقاسم اسماعیل بن عباد بن عباس; died 30 March 995), better known as Sahib ibn Abbad (صاحب بن عباد), also known as al-Sahib (الصاحب), was a Persian scholar and statesman, who served as the grand vizier of the Buyid rulers of Ray from 976 to 995.
A native of the suburbs of Isfahan, he was greatly interested in Arab culture, and wrote on dogmatic theology, history, grammar, lexicography, scholarly criticism and wrote poetry and belles-lettres.
Family and early life
Sahib was born on 14 September 938 in Talaqancha, a village roughly 20 miles south of the major Buyid city of Isfahan. His father was Abu'l-Hasan Abbad ibn Abbas (d. 946), a renowned and well-educated administrator, who composed works on the Mu'tazili doctrine. Sahib spent his childhood at Talakan, a town in Daylam near Qazvin. He later settled in Isfahan, and served for some time as an official of the Buyid ruler of Jibal, Rukn al-Dawla (r. 935–976). After the death of his father, Sahib became the pupil of the scholar and philosopher, Ibn 'al-Amid, who had recently replaced Sahib's deceased father as the vizier of Rukn al-Dawla.
- Donohue 2003, p. 140.
- Cook, Michael (2001). Commanding Right and Forbidding Wrong in Islamic Thought. Cambridge University Press. p. 201. ISBN 9781139431606.
- Donzel, E. J. van (1 January 1994). Islamic Desk Reference. BRILL. p. 142. ISBN 90-04-09738-4.
Ibn Abbad*, Abu l-Qasim* (al-Sahib): vizier and man of letters of the Buyid period; 938995. Of Persian origin, he was an arabophile and wrote on dogmatic theology, history, grammar, lexicography, literary criticism and composed poetry and belles-lettres.
- Pellat & Cahen 2012.
- Donohue, John J. (2003). The Buwayhid Dynasty in Iraq 334h., 945 to 403h., 1012: Shaping Institutions for the Future. ISBN 9789004128606. Retrieved 3 February 2014.
- Kabir, Mafizullah (1964). The Buwayhid Dynasty of Baghdad, 334/946-447/1055. Retrieved 3 February 2014.
- Yusofi, G. H. (1984). "Aḥmad Maymandī". Encyclopaedia Iranica, Vol. I, Fasc. 6. pp. 650–652.
- Pomerantz, Maurice. "Ebn ʿAbbād, Esmāʿil, al-Ṣāḥeb Kāfi al-Kofāt". Encyclopaedia Iranica.
- Pellat, Ch; Cahen, Cl (2012). "Ibn ʿAbbād". The Encyclopedia of Islam, Second Edition. BRILL. ISBN 9789004161214.
Abu'l-Fath Ali ibn Muhammad
| Grand Vizier of the Buyid amirate of Ray
976 – 995