Saifuddin Nasution Ismail
Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution bin Ismail (Jawi: سيف الدين ناسوتيون بن اسماعيل; born 7 December 1963) is a Malaysian politician who served as the Minister of Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs in the Pakatan Harapan (PH) administration under former Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad from July 2018 to the collapse of the PH administration in February 2020. He has served as the Member of Parliament (MP) for Kulim-Bandar Baharu since May 2018 and Machang from March 2008 to May 2013 as well as Member of the Penang State Legislative Assembly (MLA) for Pantai Jerejak since May 2018 and MLA of Kedah for Lunas from November 2000 to March 2004. He is a member and Secretary-General of both the People's Justice Party (PKR) and its coalition PH which is an opposition coalition now.
Saifuddin was initially a member of the youth wing of the ruling UMNO party but was expelled in 1999 as its assistant secretary. An ally of Anwar Ibrahim, Saifuddin then defected to the opposition KeADILan party, which later became PKR.
Saifuddin election debut was in the 1999 general election contesting the seat of Padang Serai, Kedah for PKR but lost. A year later, he won the Kedah State Assembly seat of Lunas in a 2000 by-election. However he failed in his bid to be elevated to the federal Parliament in the 2004 election, losing to Lim Bee Kau of the Barisan Nasional in the seat of Padang Serai again. In the 2008 election, Saifuddin contested and won the federal seat of Machang in Kelantan. For the 2013 election he returned to Kedah to contest the seat of Kulim-Bandar Baharu, but was defeated by UMNO's Abd. Aziz Sheikh Fadzir. Somehow in 2018 election Saifuddin made a comeback to win both the Kulim-Bandar Baharu parliamentary seat and Pantai Jerejak, Penang state seat.
In January 2010, Saifuddin was appointed the Secretary-General of PKR, replacing Salehuddin Hashim. In 2014 he vacated the post to run for the party's deputy presidency, but was defeated by Azmin Ali. He was once again appointed to the post of PKR Secretary-General in November 2016, this time to replace Rafizi Ramli.
|2000||N34 Lunas P17 Padang Serai||Saifuddin Nasution Ismail (KeADILan)||10,511||50.66%||S.Anthonysamy (MIC)||9,981||48.10%||20746||530||77.58%|
|2018||N36 Pantai Jerejak, P56 Bayan Baru||Saifuddin Nasution Ismail (PKR)||14,014||73.50%||Oh Tong Keong (Gerakan)||3,298||17.30%||19,315||10,716||81.70%|
|Mohd Farhan Yusri (PAS)||1,670||8.80%|
|Yim Boon Leong (MUP)||97||0.40%|
|1999||P17 Padang Serai, Kedah||Saifuddin Nasution Ismail (KeADILan)||18,023||38.53%||Lim Bee Kau (MCA)||27,395||58.56%||46,778||9.372||72.75%|
|2004||P17 Padang Serai, Kedah||Saifuddin Nasution Ismail (PKR)||15,953||37.78%||Lim Bee Kau (MCA)||26,269||62.22%||43,307||10,316||80.31%|
|2008||P29 Machang, Kelantan||Saifuddin Nasution Ismail (PKR)||21,041||50.71%||Sazmi Miah (UMNO)||19,581||47.19%||51,372||1,460||86.74%|
|2013||P18 Kulim-Bandar Baharu, Kedah||Saifuddin Nasution Ismail (PKR)||24,911||47.42%||Abd. Aziz Sheikh Fadzir (UMNO)||26,782||50.98%||52,766||1,871||86.63%|
|2018||Saifuddin Nasution Ismail (PKR)||23,159||42.62%||Abd. Aziz Sheikh Fadzir (UMNO)||18,299||33.67%||55,390||4,860||83.18%|
|Hassan Abdul Razak (PAS)||12,885||23.71%|
Honours of Malaysia
- Kedah :
- Malacca :
- "Saifuddin Nasution bin Ismail, Y.B. Tuan" (in Malay). Parliament of Malaysia. Archived from the original on 14 April 2010. Retrieved 28 May 2010.
- "New trustees prepared to face legal action". New Straits Times. 9 July 1999. Retrieved 29 December 2009.
- Tan, Joceline (28 November 1999). "An election full of issues for voters". New Straits Times. Retrieved 29 December 2009.
- OTHMAN MOHAMAD (30 November 2000). "Keadilan menang pilihan raya kecil Lunas". Utusan Malaysia. Archived from the original on 28 February 2017. Retrieved 28 February 2017.
- "Mahathir's coalition loses by-election". BBC News. 29 November 2000. Retrieved 28 May 2010.
- "Malaysia Decides 2008 (2004 results)". The Star. Retrieved 25 December 2009.
- "Malaysia Decides 2008". The Star. Retrieved 29 December 2009.
- Muzliza Mustafa. "BN's Abd Aziz to face off PKR's Saifuddin for Kulim-Bandar Baharu seat Read more: BN's Abd Aziz to face off PKR's Saifuddin for Kulim-Bandar Baharu seat". New Straits Times. Retrieved 11 October 2014.
- Habibu, Sira (10 January 2010). "PKR picks Saifuddin to replace Salehuddin". The Star. Archived from the original on 27 February 2010. Retrieved 11 January 2010.
- Boo Su-Lyn (21 August 2014). "Azmin wins PKR No 2 in party polls". Malay Mail. Retrieved 11 October 2014.
- "Saifuddin Nasution is new PKR secretary-general". The Star. 25 November 2016. Retrieved 28 February 2017.
- "Rafizi Ramli quits as PKR sec-gen, replaced by Saifuddin". Free Malaysia Today. 25 November 2016. Retrieved 28 February 2017.
- Fahrizal Fahmi Daulay, ed. (12 May 2018). "Menteri Malaysia Berdarah Indonesia, Marga Nasution Masuk Kabinet Mahathir Muhamad". tribun-medan.com. Retrieved 17 August 2018.
- "Malaysia General Election". undiinfo Malaysian Election Data. Malaysiakini. Retrieved 28 February 2017. Results only available from the 2004 election.
- "SEMAKAN KEPUTUSAN PILIHAN RAYA UMUM KE - 14" (in Malay). Election Commission of Malaysia. Retrieved 17 May 2018. Percentage figures based on total turnout.
- "The Star Online GE14". The Star. Retrieved 24 May 2018. Percentage figures based on total turnout.
- "Keputusan Pilihan Raya Umum Parlimen/Dewan Undangan Negeri" (in Malay). Election Commission of Malaysia. Retrieved 28 May 2010. Percentage figures based on total turnout.
- "Kelantan Ruler to be honoured". Bernama. The Star. 15 January 2012. Retrieved 13 October 2018.
- "Husam kembali bergelar 'datuk', Mujahid Dr Dzul Ahmad Awang 'datuk seri'". MALAYSIADATELINE (in Malay). 13 October 2018. Retrieved 13 October 2018.