Sailing at the 1932 Summer Olympics – 8 Metre
at the Games of the X Olympiad
Line drawing of the 8 Metre
|Venue||Los Angeles Harbor|
|Dates||First race: August 5, 1932
Last race: August 9, 1932
|Competitors||18 from 2 nations|
|Sailing at the
1932 Summer Olympics
The 8 Metre was a sailing event on the Sailing at the 1932 Summer Olympics program in Los Angeles Harbor. Four races were scheduled plus possible tie breakers. 18 sailors, on 2 boats, from 2 nation competed.
|●||Event competitions||●||Final race|
|Total gold medals||1|
Course area and course configuration
The courses had been well prepared. The marks were laid by the United States Lighthouse Service in the form of large Government. Visiting yachts were kept at a safe distance from the racing boats by the US Coast Guard. Tows were arranged by the US Navy to and from Los Angeles Harbor to the race area. The 8 Metre sailed outside the breakwater.
The correct historic weather data for Los Angeles during the 8 Metre races can be obtained for about US$20.- at http://weather-warehouse.com/index.html.
|6-AUG-1932||2nd Race||Light||Freshening to|
|7-AUG-1932||3rd Race||Fresh||Increased to 20 knots (10 m/s)|
|8-AUG-1932||4th Race||20 knots (10 m/s)|
|Country||Helmsman||Crew||Boat||Race 1||Race 2||Race 3||Race 4||Total|
|United States||Owen Churchill||John Biby, Alphonse Burnand,
Kenneth Carey, William Cooper,
Pierpont Davis, Carl Dorsey,
John Huettner, Richard Moore,
Alan Morgan, Robert Sutton &
|Canada||Ronald Maitland||Ernest Cribb
- For this event one yacht from each country, manned by a maximum of 6 amateurs (maximum number of substitutes 6) was allowed.
- This event was a gender independent event. However it turned out to be a man's only event.
During the Sailing regattas at the 1932 Summer Olympics among others the following persons were competing in the 8 Metre:
|8 Metre victors at the 1932 Olympic Games|
- "Digital Library Collection (Official Olympic Reports 1896 - 2008)". Digital Library Collection at la84.org. la84foundation. Retrieved 7 May 2015.
- "Sailing at the 1932 Los Angeles Summer Games:Mixed 8 Metres". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved 9 May 2015.
- "Los Angeles 1932". Olympic.org. International Olympic Committee.
- (ed.) Browne, Francis Granger (1933). "Official Report of the Games of the X Olympiad" (PDF). Los Angeles: Xth Olympiade Committee of the Games of Los Angeles, U. S. A. 1932, LTD. Retrieved 7 May 2015.
- The 1932 Olympic scoring system was used.
- By transcribed by Barbara Beigel Vosbury (2006). "1932 Olympics Report" Check
|url=value (help). ISCYRA. Retrieved 9 May 2015.[permanent dead link]